« Home | Alan Kistler doesn't know the meaning of the word ... » | Marz tears down on Kentucky clerk who stopped issu... » | Tech Times has a jaw-droppingly backwards view of ... » | New Captain America movie draws from Civil War? » | Sugarcoated take on Superman's Ulysses tale » | A woman explains why modern superhero comics don't... » | Jack Kirby's romance tales » | DC lost $2 million over the past year, but they're... » | Child's school bans WW lunchbox because it suppose... » | Mike Grell's uninformed view of Islam and Yugoslav... » 

Thursday, September 03, 2015 

Phillip Hester does a Brad Meltzer sugarcoat

The artist who drew Meltzer's story for Green Arrow in 2002 recently backed the pretentious novelist with the following:

Don't you mean to say self-righteous, Mr. Hester? And any CBS viewer who keeps up with comicdom's news knows what plenty of people familiar with comic books know: that he's got an awfully crude, juvenile fanfiction approach, and it makes little difference whether he was doing it at the editors' behest; he's still part and parcel of the deed. As was the case with Identity Crisis, his most notorious product in comicdom. Now everyone knows what Hester is like too: an apologist who won't admit his buddy's resolutely male-viewpoint miniseries is repellent to women. Nor does he recognize the reality about Hilary Clinton.

And here's something I've known about Hester's art design for at least a decade: the character design is alternately blocky or too much like manga, only much duller. Even John Romita Jr's weakest post-2000 efforts are livelier than what Hester's turned out. I recall looking at some of Hester's art back in the early 2000s and his design for Green Arrow and Black Canary was pretty cruddy. Sometimes his art even makes the characters look a bit "wide". Which makes Hester the kind of artist whose resume I find simply unappealing.

In any event, Hester's gush over Meltzer is no surprise. Now everyone knows why Hester is one artist not worth listening to.

Labels: , , , , , ,

I wonder if statements like that are said honestly, or if there are more mercenary reasons behind it?

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.