« Home | What a few writers are saying about the Democrats » | What rich history does Hunter Zolomon have? » | Is the legacy of Stan Lee really in question, or d... » | Marvel forces thinly veiled vulgarity onto grandfa... » | "Controversial ending" to new Captain America movi... » | "Prominent" Marvel writer attacks Iron Fist TV ada... » | Gerry Conway not so impressed with contrived moder... » | How Mike Baron goofed with marketing new Badger mi... » | Al Jaffee explains Mad magazine's humor » | Too many gimmicks for dollars » 

Thursday, March 03, 2016 

A Polygon writer's love-hate relationship with Frank Miller's work

Here's a writer on the cruddy Polygon site relaying her feelings about Miller's past work. Some of the stuff she says is pretty spaced out, even if there are valid arguments buried under all the rubble. When she gets to the part about Holy Terror, that's when it becomes clear she's just not very reliable:
I'm still 19 and Frank Miller announces Holy Terror, Batman, a book he wants to write where Batman "kicks Al-Qaeda's ass." I can't even begin to articulate all the reasons why that sounds like a terrible idea. While speaking to NPR about his personal reaction to the September 11th attacks a few months later, Miller would say: "For the first time in my life I know how it feels to face an existential menace." I think that I've never heard something so white, straight, male and sheltered. He will eventually repackage the idea as simply Holy Terror, after jettisoning any reference to the superhero.
I don't think she wants to give any reasons why she thinks so. And the second highlighted sentence makes no sense. It's like she's saying blacks and Latinos aren't realists, and if that's what she meant, she's being quite disgusting. What does race, gender or sexual orientation have to do with it? Now I know why it's said this site is the pits. Sure, Miller's a questionable lot, and very polarizing in terms of his talent, but this has got to be the dumbest jumble I've ever seen, and scuttles all its objectivity.

So, why does she think fighting al Qaeda is a bad idea? Well, something tells me it's not because they're a real life canister of filth, but rather, because she has no faith in the concept of good battling evil. In that case, what's the point of reading even Batman?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

The fact that Holy Terror actually has a visible villain is probably the only good thing about it.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.