« Home | Chuck Dixon reminds us of the anti-conservative bl... » | Unfortunately, if Dan DiDio is co-writer of this b... » | Patrick Zircher says something sensible for a chan... » | 50 comics stores closed in a year, and so did Blee... » | The censorious moderators at Reddit shut out all C... » | Marz makes another negative comment about Trump, a... » | Singapore uses comics for improving students' skil... » | Some very flawed articles about Black Panther » | Tim Doyle's anti-Trump tweet » | Inverse does a hit piece on Comicsgate » 

Saturday, February 17, 2018 

Michael Turner may have been a talented artist, but his Identity Crisis cover drawings are a stain on his record

I recently noticed this comment by Ethan Van Sciver about the late artist Michael Turner of Witchblade and Fathom fame:

Was Turner a gent? I'm sure he had a decent personality. Was he talented and had great character design? Certainly. But if this is to be the subject of the week, I'm afraid no amount of good work he did when he was still around excuses the fact he drew the covers for Brad Meltzer's misogyny-plagued Identity Crisis in 2004, the story that made light of the topic of sexual assault, and was written with a 99.9 percent masculine viewpoint.

Sure, Turner may have only drawn the covers, and not the story inside, which was illustrated by the overrated Rags Morales. That's why Turner may not have to shoulder as much blame as Meltzer/Morales. Nevertheless, Turner's willingness to connect himself with what liberal-leaning Alex Ross was not willing to associate himself with still comes off as a tacit approval of the rancid story inside, and that casts a pall over even the best of his work. Because of this, I've had to take a lot of Turner's past work with a grain of salt.

Of course, Turner's been gone for over a decade now, so it's become a moot point, and reading any better work of his is easier now than it would've been at the time. But it's still a terrible shame Turner had to sully his image by associating with an obnoxious product that flies in the face of the comics he's more famous for. Artists like Van Sciver shouldn't overlook that.

Labels: , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.