« Home | Psylocke returns to a caucasian body, and Kwannon ... » | 9 tweets by J.T. Krul » | Literary writer with no prior comics scripting exp... » | A Japanese video game producer was "inspired" by M... » | Jeff Lemire doesn't want any help from Comicsgate » | The SJWs turn against Brian Bendis » | Why is it such a big deal Batman be rendered an at... » | Today's SJWs follow the Wertham formula in attacki... » | Just how will Champions address school shootings? » | BBC accuses comics covers of all being "sexist" » 

Tuesday, August 28, 2018 

Could Jason Aaron's planned Conan run be filled with political correctness?

Don't be surprised if Robert E. Howard's famous fantasy creation, whose license is now back at Marvel after a dozen years or so at Dark Horse, suffers from the very social justice propaganda even Jason Aaron, now assigned to script new Conan books, had a hand in contributing to:
Ahead of its January 2019 launch, Marvel Entertainment has announced the creative team for its new Conan the Barbarian comic book series — and the company’s adherence to its successful formula for Star Wars is being followed so closely that the series will be written by the original writer of Marvel’s current Star Wars series. [...]

In a statement, Aaron said, “I've literally been preparing for this job since I was 13 and discovered my first Robert E. Howard Conan paperback in a used bookstore in my little hometown of Jasper, Alabama. I devoured every Howard book I could find after that, and I've been making up Conan stories in my head ever since. Now I finally get to do that for real, alongside the amazing Mahmud Asrar. So this opportunity means an awful lot to me, and I'm cherishing every blood-splattered, spider-haunted second of it.”
So this is going to be quite a bloody adventure, is it? Okay, I'm sure that was expected. What's less certain is what it's attitudes will be like regarding sex and sexuality. Will it adhere to more politically correct standards than the 1970-93 series from Marvel ever did? Come to think of it, what if the stories also wind up as tasteless metaphors for leftist politics? The problem already plagued the Star Wars franchise, whose comic adaptations Aaron's already contributed to, and if they've come within even miles of applying the very social justice elements that have toppled Star Wars from its once far more successful position, then there's not much point in reading their SW comics, or the new Conan stories either.

The main problem is that Aaron's one of the "brain[-less]trust" at Marvel who've been kept around even under Cebulski, replaced Thor with Jane Foster under the same name, and was active in several of their crossovers as well, one more reason his attachment doesn't inspire confidence, not even on projects unrelated to the MCU proper. I dread the day we'll discover they acquired the license for GI Joe again, because there's every chance they'd botch that too, all at the expense of the Joe fans as well.

Labels: , , , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.