« Home | Mike Baron addresses the state of the industry » | Brie Larson and Sana Amanat seem to be exploiting ... » | The history of Tarpe (June) Mills, first lady in c... » | Chuck Dixon sees the industry collapsing, in part ... » | One comics news site shuts down, another gets a ba... » | Here's a woman in comics writing who knows how to ... » | The Female Furies take on sexism? » | Meltzer still wants to write for an industry he do... » | Washington Post fawns over Bendis » | Angouleme convention awards Rumiko Takahashi » 

Monday, February 11, 2019 

Non Sequitur comic strip put hidden anti-Trump obscenity into its background

The cartoonist of the Non Sequitur comic strip did something awfully disgusting, embarrassing one of the newspapers carrying it to cancel their subscription:
The comic strip panel “Non Sequitur” has been dropped from the Winston-Salem Journal’s comics lineup, effective today.

The decision was a result of Sunday’s strip, which included the message, “Go f_ _ _ yourself Trump.” The type is hard to read, and easy to miss in a strip that features bears resembling Leonardo da Vinci and encourages readers to color on the page in “The Bearaissance.” The words are in the second panel in the strip, under a flying machine. [...]

The author of “Non Sequitur,” Wiley Miller, issued a statement on Monday that blamed the offensive words on an oversight: “When I opened the paper Sunday morning and read my cartoon, I didn’t think anything of it, as I didn’t notice the scribbling that has now caught fire. It wasn’t until later when sharp-eyed readers pointed it out that I remembered doing it, as the cartoon was done about eight weeks ago. I now remember that I was particularly aggravated that day about something the president had done or said, and so I lashed out in a rather sophomoric manner as instant therapy. It was NOT intended for public consumption, and I meant to white it out before submitting it, but forgot to.”

The explanation doesn’t match Miller’s post on Twitter on Sunday, which encouraged readers to look for a hidden message in his Sunday strip: “Some of my sharp-eyed readers have spotted a little Easter egg from Leonardo Bear-Vinci. Can you find it?” The post included an image of the offending panel.
Man, the anti-Trump hatred sure is getting way out of hand, tainting some syndicated comic strips in newspapers as much as monthly comic books themselves, and now a cartoonist's biases have cost him some circulation. Miller's likely not sorry he did that either. This aggravation likely won't stop even if Trump is reelected in 2020, and will probably get even worse.

Labels: , ,

Making your opposition insane, particularly when they have a certain proclivity along those lines, also makes them stupid and less effective. The downside is you have to watch your butt because there's lots of people literally gunning for you.

This is the kind of thing that cartoonists often put in their work relying on the fact that the syndicate editor is going to white it out when he sees it. They do it to get out their frustrations in the course of their work, or to play games with the editor. Sometimes the editor misses it and it gets through, and then you have situations like this one.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.