« Home | How Northstar's homosexuality was brought to the s... » | A webcomic exercising optimism » | A politically motivated comic about a Mexican supe... » | DC's severing ties with Diamond » | South Korean webtoon and manhwa studios aim for Fr... » | How a specialty store in Indianapolis is trying to... » | The new She-Ra cartoon certainly set a new standard » | Scott Snyder buys into a media lie, or worse, perp... » | Rick Remender doesn't want Trump supporters to buy... » | Will Sliney designs corona masks for Easyjet » 

Tuesday, June 09, 2020 

New Stargirl TV series rubs out the original Justice Society

IGN's written up a sugary article about the new TV show adapting Geoff Johns' Stargirl, and wouldn't you know it, they went for tasteless cliches, even as it makes use of 2 characters who were organically created by Roy Thomas for Infinity Inc:
But despite hinging on that family bond, Stargirl is also an ensemble series about multiple young heroes taking up the mantles of their predecessors. As the series opens, the original Justice Society of America has been killed, leaving it up to Courtney and fellow teen heroes like Yolanda Montez and Beth Chapel to fill that void. According to Bassinger, Stargirl is the de facto leader for this new JSA team, as she recruits her fellow classmates after discovering the Cosmic Staff.
Now I do know Johns may have revived these 2 disciples of the original Wildcat and Dr. Mid-Nite about a year or so ago in his otherwise pretentious Doomsday Clock miniseries (which suffered from quite a few eyebrow raising delays in issues released), one of the very few good things to be found in any of his resume. But he's had so many poor deeds in his record that ruin everything, that's why I'm not approving of what he's done here, even if this is a different medium in focus. Besides, I recall the short-lived Flash TV show from 1990 took a similar approach, potentially influenced by the Batman film of the time, and I'm not impressed with that either.

These cheap gimmicks of killing off heroic stars to provide motivation for new disciples has gotten way out of hand. Coming as this show is from such an overrated writer as Johns, that's why I'll definitely not be approving.

Labels: , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.