« Home | CBLDF's director resigns after sexual assault alle... » | How Baltimore's retailers are handling the pandemi... » | Joel Schumacher, director of the least well regard... » | Reddit bans Mike Baron's campaign for his new Flor... » | More examples of review sites sugarcoating Marvel'... » | Former Dark Horse editor accused of sexual harassment » | Some more political tweets by Kurt Busiek » | The accusations against Warren Ellis » | Screen Rant makes a pointless argument Marvel's "q... » | Elmer Fudd no longer hunts Bugs Bunny with a shotg... » 

Thursday, June 25, 2020 

News Lagoon says Batman cover brings to mind Aurora shooting

The News Lagoon wrote a column commenting on at least a few items from comicdom's past week, and what raised my eyebrows was this:
Lastly to DC Comics: who in their right minds decides with all that’s going on in the world, that a cover like the one below which directly makes a connection to an absolutely horrific and traumatic event like the Aurora Shooting where people died is acceptable to publish??? At best it is a tone-deaf mistake. At worst it exposes an absolute lack of editorial insight bordering on the absurd at one of comics largest publishers. We are complicit in that we published. The early look which did not have the final wording which we should not have done, and for that, we can only apologize for our own lack of sensitivity to this issue. WTF does not begin to cover it…
So the writer thinks the cover for Batman #93, spotlighting none other than the Joker, is reminiscent of the Aurora bloodbath, which took place at a screening of the Dark Knight Rises? That's decidedly their take, but what bothers me is simply the market's over-saturation with all that is Batman-related. This being a lead-in as it is to the Joker War crossover is no different.

Still, I'll give them credit for one thing: the marketing of violence has gotten way out of hand, and putting such a huge emphasis on the Joker is not improving the situation. Since this relates to a planned crossover, I'd say that's why we could all do ourselves a favor and avoid it.

Labels: , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.