« Home | Comics Beat defended firing Gina Carano from the M... » | Far-leftist Ta-Nehisi Coates hired to write a Supe... » | Kotaku recommends pretentious Falcon and Winter So... » | Roy Thomas pushes back against Abraham Riesman's p... » | Japan's market measures in several billions » | Minnesota's only Black-owned specialty store » | The first major movie based on Blue Beetle will be... » | Thor subtly attacks the UK Tories » | DC launches a Spotify podcast on the wrong foot » | Simpsons producers replace Harry Shearer as voice ... » 

Tuesday, March 02, 2021 

New computer technology makes comics from movies

The Hindu reported on a new computer program for making comic panels out of movie footage. But there's a problem based on just who it was who developed the program, or was involved in development:
Producing a comic book is a work of art involving high level of creativity. The whole process of ideating, sketching, colouring, inking and lettering content, can take over eight months. Now that production can be completed in lesser time, and done by artificial intelligence (AI), not humans.

A team of researchers, including those from China’s Dalian University of Technology, has developed an AI system to make comic books from movies and other videos. They have used computer vision, a form of AI, to automate creative tasks, which helps to interpret digital content like images, videos, and graphics.

The team said it derived inspiration from ‘Manga’, a style of comics or graphic novels originating from Japan. The automated system will help professionals develop their own books from videos, movies, TV shows or cartoons.
Much as I'd like to admire this new product, I'm honestly discouraged by the fact that Chinese sources were involved, considering all the trouble they've caused lately on the political scene. If I wanted to build a comics panel program using such technology, how can I possibly support a product made by sources who could be under communist influence? I'm sure that's a question many outraged by what China's incompetence led to are asking right now. I think maybe I'd wait until art programmers in more democratic countries came up with a similar program before making use of this technology.

On its own, the comic-building technology in focus here is certainly inventive. But coming as it does at a time when China's not looked upon positively because of the Covid19 disaster, that's why the timing for its announcement is most unfortunate.

Labels: , , , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.