« Home | Valdosta Daily Times admits Son of Kal-El is a Sup... » | Marvel planning sequel to Secret Invasion » | Some screencaps of Neil Gaiman's political favorat... » | Are supervillains victims of identity politics? » | Brian Augustyn dies at 67 » | Wolverine gets sent through time travel anew, just... » | More on the fishy or ironic elements in the Pulp E... » | Art Spigelman's Maus is banned by a Tennessee scho... » | Sales receipts of December indicate readers reject... » | Forbes interviews Gundam animator Yoshikazu Yasuhiko » 

Tuesday, February 08, 2022 

Writer at NYC exhibit of Black comics laments lack of diversity at other conventions

Here's a Reuters report from a few weeks ago, when the Black Comic Book Festival was being held, and wouldn't you know it, somebody makes a big deal out of alleged lack of diversity, rather than merit:
"I think for me, you know, comic conventions as a whole, there's not a heck of a lot of diversity," he told Reuters. "I think even the comic book field itself doesn't really give us a diverse look as to types of stories, types of characters... it seemed like this was the place where I could really speak to the people who like my work."

Sterling's graphic novels focus on diverse stories about under-represented characters.
Which is fine in itself, but what does the above interviewee mean by little diversity at conventions in their entirety? I have no doubt it's been far from the case for years, and there's been plenty of people from all racial backgrounds attending, both as creators and as audience, so while a specialty convention is fine, why must there be complaints about other conventions lacking what they represent? Why doesn't entertainment value count? That's the vibe I got reading this. Of course, if there is a lack, it could hint how the whole push and shove for diversity over the past decade by the left really is phony, yet nobody's willing to discuss it objectively.

Again, specialty conventions can be great in themselves. But if nobody will argue about the dire state of mainstream comicdom's merit, or even the independent scene, it's no wonder poor quality will continue anywhere.

Labels: , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.