« Home | Kentucky art museum oversees launch of UK theater ... » | Our Country's Veterans looks like a pro-patriotic ... » | But what would those "best" Superman stories be? » | The "influential" creators at this year's Thought ... » | Carlos Pacheco dead at 60 » | Geoff Johns returns to the JSA, despite never havi... » | Filmmaker Quentin Tarantino obscures his earlier q... » | A Sub-Mariner tale that sounds pretty fishy » | Some Superman miniseries this supposedly is » | Oscar Isaac "cries" over comics » 

Monday, November 14, 2022 

Cartoon statues based on "evil queens" are no better an influence than supervillains

J. Scott Campbell's a talented artist, there's no disputing that. But one of his latest projects, which appears to be based on the evil queen from Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs, is decidedly a poor choice for something to market: Seriously, I find it so galling when not just a villainess is marketed as a big deal in the statue-making business, but also when evil is made to look sexy. There's a lot Campbell's drawn to impress me, but not this item. It just insults my intellect, because already, there's been Joker cultism, Poison Ivy cultism, Riddler cultism and even Dr. Doom cultism, and now we have to have this? No, I'm sorry, this is no improvement.

The foremost focus of admiration and appreciation shoud be heroes and heroines. And good is what should really be made to look sexy.

Labels: , ,

To be fair, if he tried to do an artwork on Snow White, he'd probably end up slapped with pedophilia charges due to her being canonically fourteen years old, so it's not like Snow White, one of the heroes of the film, would have been a good option for this kind of artwork.

Still, I agree that using someone like the Evil Queen (an attempted child murderer, and that's strictly going by the Disney version of her, as her original fairy tale version was even WORSE in that she was a cannibal as well) for this is distasteful. If they absolutely MUST market villainous characters like this, at least use anti-villainous characters like Lady Death or something. At least those types do sort-of engage in heroism in their own way (and some even get upgraded to heroes in their own right after enough character development like Scarlet Witch in the original comics).

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.