« Home | Fluff-coated item about Marvel's Jewish Black Pant... » | CBC must think it's such a big deal a local artist... » | Arizona artist creates a comic with a brighter angle » | Vancouver Island artist creates horror comic about... » | Seattle Times sugarcoats Poison Ivy » | Ron Marz supposedly defends the Punisher, for the ... » | How Marvel's movieverse supposedly devoured Hollywood » | One of the Big Two's modern PC writers admits sale... » | SJWs hijack Spider-Verse sequel to desecrate Gwen ... » | Documentary about Stan Lee at Tribeca film festiva... » 

Wednesday, June 14, 2023 

John Romita Sr. dead at 93

NDTV reports one of Marvel's most famous artists has passed away at 93:
Legendary comic artist John Romita Sr, who created most iconic Marvel characters like Mary Jane Watson, The Punisher, and Wolverine, has died at 93, BBC reported. His death was announced Tuesday night on Twitter by his son, John Romita Jr, who is also a successful comic book artist.

''I say this with a heavy heart. My father passed away peacefully in his sleep. He is a legend in the art world and it would be my honor to follow in his footsteps. Please keep your thoughts and condolences here out of respect for my family. He was the greatest man I ever met,'' Romita Jr. wrote.
I think Ross Andru was the artist who co-create the Punisher, and Romita was one of the art editors at the time. But all the same, you could surely make an argument today's PC crowd has no ability to appreciate all the difficult work Romita went through to get Frank Castle developed at the time he originally debuted in Spider-Man, where Romita was famous for giving Mary Jane an actual face and image, after she'd only been featured indirectly in Steve Ditko's renditions. It's brought up again a bit further into the article:
From 1966, he worked with Marvel editor-in-chief Stan Lee on The Amazing Spider-Man, helping it to become the company's top seller. Characters like Spider-Man's love interest Mary Jane Watson and his adversary Punisher were also introduced by him.
And the sad part? No veterans, all these years, have ever made a serious effort to speak out in defense of MJ, let alone Frank. That's how disaster ultimately winds up happening.

Romita Sr. will definitely remain one of Marvel's most iconic artists and art supervisors, and a guy to really appreciate. But it's a shame much of his work since has been watered down horribly, and nobody tries to convince modern audiences why he's worth admiring.

Labels: , , , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.