« Home | A comic about a half-Portuguese samurai built on p... » | Newsarama's "best" list of X-Men stories includes ... » | The slowness of the mainstream to address the Gaim... » | A new Rogue miniseries about her and Magneto's tim... » | Israeli animator sugarcoats and ignores the belief... » | Does the Alien franchise's anti-corporate themes s... » | Penguin TV program continues from premise of The B... » | "Ice Cream Man" comic being adapted to screen » | Why does the price matter but not the story merit? » | Whoever thought Warren Beatty would be the owner o... » 

Sunday, September 22, 2024 

Establishing Batman with Jewish ancestry won't work without good writing

The Tuscon university's Daily Wildcat has a writer who's telling us all we should "acknowledge" Bruce Wayne is Jewish, even though, while his creators were, Batman as a character was never literally established as such pre-2000:
As a Jewish fan of superhero comic books, it brings me great joy that the superhero genre has such a long history with the Jewish community. Not only was the medium largely founded by Jewish immigrants in America in the early twentieth century, such as Joe Schuster (co-creator of Superman) and children of immigrants such as Jack Kirby (co-creator of Captain America and many other Marvel characters), Will Eisner (creator of “The Spirit”) and Jerry Siegel (Superman’s other creator), but comics have a strong history of Jewish characters as well — such as The Thing, Moon Knight, Harley Quinn, Green Lantern, Magneto and my personal favorite Kitty Pryde, who I named myself after.
I think she's lost me when she went and cited Harley Quinn. There's nothing to celebrate or admire in depicting a Jewish character as a villain who murders people. Even with Magneto, some pause has to be given, because in past decades, there were at least a few characterizations that, if to be considered canon, were very tasteless. Curious the college columnist didn't think to cite Nuklon/Al Rothstein of Infinity Inc; since he was on the good side, he'd make a far more valid citation historically, and certainly more than later renditions post-2000 did. That said, the claim Hal Jordan's Jewish is something that only recently got emphasized, and by Tom King, regrettably enough. That's why, if it really matters (and it's not as big a deal to me as talented writing should be), well I'm sorry to say, but I can't accept a storyline written by such an awful scribe who doesn't respect much of DC's cast of characters, and won't be shocked if it turns out King's depiction of GL is little different.
However, many of those Jewish comic book characters are not household names, and, even if you’re a superhero fan yourself, I’d wager I listed one or two you didn’t know were Jewish. But there’s one I didn’t know was Jewish myself until recently: Batman. I’m not talking about an alternate universe variant or anything of the sort, nor am I saying that Batman is only arguably Jewish. Bruce Wayne, the main comic version, is one hundred percent canonically Jewish.

This happened when Batman’s cousin was introduced. Bruce’s first cousin, Kate Kane, is the superhero Batwoman. Her Jewish identity is important to her backstory and a core part of her character. Her father’s family was Jewish as well, and her aunt was Martha Wayne, Bruce’s mom. This means that Batman is of Ashkenazi Jewish descent. Batman is Jewish, and it’s rarely ever been acknowledged that he is.
And this storyline is no better, considering how forced and contrived it was (IIRC, Greg Rucka was the writer) for the sake of early wokeness, and all for the sake of putting a LGBT character into an established costume just to check a diversity box. Even though the mainstream's whole notion of diversity is selective only, and something tells me that, if an Armenian character were introduced for the sake of such a role, DC would not greenlight it unless an LGBT background were mandated. Far as I can tell, this new character with an alliteritive name's ethnic background isn't as important as the LGBT component, and chances are she certainly would never have been approved for storylines today without it. If they even allowed new Jewish characters at all.

I'm sorry, but Bruce Wayne is not 100 percent Jewish if he wasn't established that way when he first debuted in 1939. And even if he was, the destruction and lack of talented writing and art today has ruined all ability to appreciate applying a Jewish background as canon. It'd be the same if Armenian characters were introduced without talented writing to back them up. The college paper's writer has also ignored how DC may have subjected Bruce Wayne to the aforementioned ideology of recent. Again, how can only truly appreciate giving Bruce such a background if they cannot refrain from pushing LGBT ideology onto the character?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.