« Home | The "Superior" Foes of Spider-Man is cancelled » | A CBR writer's comments on the Ferguson case » | A roundup of comic creators' reactions to the Ferg... » | Busiek's not so reliable info on the Benghazi case » | More Marz muddles » | Another tweet and 3 screencaps of Gene Ha's two-fa... » | British comics readers tilt to the left » | DC mistakes Valencia soccer team's logo for a Batm... » | Marvel's "Everything Ends" could be one of 4 things » | Flemming Rose talks about the Danish Muhammed cart... » 

Saturday, November 29, 2014 

Neil Gaiman associates himself with Brad Meltzer

I didn't think it could get any worse, or did I? The next contributor to comicdom who's maintained a connection to the awful author of Identity Crisis is Gaiman, author of The Sandman and Books of Magic, who retweeted the following:
So he's not just merely giving Meltzer free advertising, he apparently has some kind of relationship with him too. A real head shaker.

Oh, Mr. Gaiman, did you know Mr. Meltzer has this horrific comic book on his record? Surely that doesn't contradict your values, if you have any values at all? Have you no dignity or shame? Then again, this was the same man who voiced his support for Occupy Wall Street, so maybe this isn't unlike him. Tsk tsk, Mr. Gaiman, for somebody whose Sandman stories are said to have some appeal to women, you sure aren't making much of an effort to ensure they'll be as pleased with you as a person as much as they are with your efforts as a writer. Have you even pondered what victims of sexual abuse might think once they notice this?

Since this comes up, I guess it'd be worth thinking back on Gaiman's Sandman stories, which precede James Robinson's Starman stuff by a few years as a book that was meant to end when the writer decided. I read some of the first Sandman issues in a trade a couple years ago, but in the end, it did not particularly impress me, and only enforced my opinion of why I don't find many examples in the horror genre very appealing - there didn't seem much point to the violence/gore, and it came across more on the sensationalistic side. Doctor Destiny comes into possession of Morpheus' power gem in the first several issues after escaping from a prison, and, after gunning down a female motorist, he heads into a restaurant, where he uses it to mind control several occupants into finally killing themselves, one via self-beheading? Honestly, I don't see the appeal of that, but that's probably only scratching the surface. What about how Gaiman makes use of Lyta Hall, who later destroyed the not-very-sympathetic lead (aided by the Furies) after mistakenly thinking he abducted her child, Daniel? To me, this is mind boggling, because of the problematic position it puts Lyta in afterwards - she wiped out a guy who's anything but a criminal! How does that help her as a character? Sure, the version of Loki seen in his stories may have influenced her, but it's still very problematic. Gaiman was also accused of using anti-family themes, and while I do think it's a bad mistake to ban the books from some libraries for those reasons, I do think that, if he took a negative view of families in his writing, that's very sad.

Does that have something to do with the lenient view he takes of Meltzer? I don't know, but he's not helping one bit by giving him free promotion. And he wasn't helping anybody by siding with OWS either.

Labels: , , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.