« Home | Perlmutter's "creative committee" for Marvel movie... » | Film critics in the UK have mixed reaction to the ... » | DC colorist quits over their abuse of Superman fra... » | Does the wider public really know Tony Stark is Ir... » | If it wasn't right to ban horror comics in the 195... » | Baltimore comicon hosts a most unwelcome guest » | The kids at the western Massachusettes convention ... » | How Ta-Nehisi Coates concludes his Capt. America run » | Italian gallery will host self-portraits of comic ... » | What kind of diversity does new Call of Duty comic... » 

Wednesday, October 27, 2021 

Larry Hama continues to say he always wanted Snake Eyes to be Asian

Here's another interview Larry Hama gave to Inverse 2 weeks ago, where he continued to toe a politically correct line about what he really wanted Snake Eyes to be like when he first developed the GI Joe comic series and toys nearly 40 years ago:
Hama drew upon his own lived experiences as a U.S. Army veteran and the uncanny imagination he’d honed at Marvel Comics to usher in a new era of G.I. Joe. In issue 26, published in 1984, Hama penned an origin story for the mysterious, black-clad agent “Snake Eyes,” who’s revealed to be an American soldier trained as a ninja in Japan.

Even back then, Hama had reservations. As Hama tells Inverse, he’s always believed Snake Eyes should have been a character of Asian descent.

“I didn’t like the fact that the only Asian character [in G.I. Joe] was a bad guy,” Hama says, referencing Snake Eyes’ rival and Cobra Command agent Storm Shadow. “In the back of my head, I always wanted Snake Eyes to be Asian. That wasn’t in the cards.”

In 2021, Hama has seen the franchise course-correct with Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins, a franchise reboot movie starring the half-English, half-Malaysian heartthrob Henry Golding in the title role.
A movie which, again, was a critical/financial failure. By the way, if an Asian hero was such a big deal to him, how come he didn't try to create another cast member without a mask, and use some creative muscle to make sure he got to that point? Actually, he did do something like that with Storm Shadow, as explained here:
When they brought in Storm Shadow, I resolved to change him into a good guy over the course of the next year. I didn’t tell Hasbro or Marvel. I just went ahead and did it. It was fait accompli. I think that adds to the dimension of the relationship between the two. They started out as brothers and became estranged and then found each other again. The movie narrative changes that around, but they still went with the central theme of brotherhood, betrayal, redemption, and making things right again. I’m happy with that.
But is he happy with the result of the screenplay, or, does he simply not have the courage to say he's disappointed with the artistic results? As they point out at the end:
Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins struggled at the box office. Do you think there’s still a chance for more G.I. Joe movies in the future?

That’s inside baseball to me. You just can’t predict what’s going to happen. But who knows? I’m always optimistic.

I thought it was amazing they came around and thought, “Let’s try this again and concentrate on Snake Eyes.” Public attitude has changed. Now we can do tentpole movies with an Asian lead. I don’t think the franchise is dead in the water. I think there are enough people out there that still want a good version [of G.I. Joe], that’s been proven on other franchises. Look at Dune. How many times have they remade that? Maybe, finally, they’ll get it right.
Well they didn't with GI Joe, because political correctness was forced into the narratives early on, and it ruined everything. We're living in an era where pro-American viewpoints have become taboo, and GI Joe was a victim of that. What if tomorrow, we discover Hama decides to abandon "A Real American Hero" as a subtitle because wokeness becomes a big deal to him, despite how it's serviced artistic ruin on many pop culture products pretty quickly? If that happens, and it's entirely possible, regrettably, even the comic franchise now run by IDW could soon become a train wreck, and it certainly got that way when Aubrey Sitterson was doing some of the writing on alternate universe titles.

Maybe the most annoying part is how Hama may think the only kind of character he can make coolsville is the one with the masked outfit, and not one who doesn't wear a mask. That's easily one of the biggest mistakes you can make when you're dealing with a medium where meritocracy should be the name of the game, not merely what kind of outfits and weapons the protagonists use.

Labels: , , , , ,

"Taboo" or "unacceptable"? How's life treating you in that dusty corner of the world by the way?

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.