« Home | Sunbury's Daily Item: IC's 9-11 tie-ins confirmed » | Beginning now as a contributing columnist for Pape... » | The more things "change" the more they end up appa... » | "TC" for terrorism chic? » | And now...conservative comic books come into play » | I'm boycotting Bill Willingham's books » | Going on a trip up north tomorrow » | Manga movies » | Justice miniseries from DC » | Graphic novels take alt-comics into the realm of l... » 

Thursday, September 15, 2005 

Aquaman gets no respect?

Seeing this topic on Howling Curmudgeons, I'll have to admit that it's a good question: why doesn't Aquaman get any respect? Even with an ongoing that's still going, it appears true, that Arthur Curry doesn't get any real respect, even if he's got a wife as lovely as Mera.

Actually, upon reading this, I think an even better question might be: why don't the writers give the Sea King any respect? After a nightmare like the one presented in Adventure Comics #452, I think that's exactly why such a question most certainly warrents some thinking.

But at the same time, let's not forget the Silver Age Atom, who's also mentioned in the topic. One of the best arguements from there includes this one:
I think that the Atom suffered from this as well, although I agree that the JLU take of presenting Atom/Ray Palmer as one of *the* scientists in the group has helped to rehabilitate the character in a way (it also helps that a bunch of characters who used to be very competent scientists in the Silver Age, such as the Flash and Superman himself) no longer are.
Yes, there's an interesting point to that. Too few superheroes these days are being written as actual scientists or even technologists, probably because it's thought that being one would take away a lot of the challenges faced by the protagonists, I assume. Not at all. In fact, it could help them.

Labels: , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.