« Home | "Wanted" embraces brutality as a positive, liberat... » | Shocking new trend in Manga » | Comic books movies may be even more sexist than th... » | Superman's rogues gallery is "weak?" » | An early form of Moon-Bat writing? » | Bat-babes have suffered the most » | NYC Comic-con's debut is spoiled by yet more prete... » | Oops, they cheated! » | Moonbats slighted Batman » | D for Disaster » 

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 

I thought Captain America was a fictional character

I remembered seeing this old thread once on Newsarama from September 2003 that talked about the attention that JLA #83 got for its very awkward political, if metaphorical, statement on the war in Iraq. But as weak as that issue was, however you look upon it, that's not what I found ridiculous about it. No, what was ridiculous about this article was how they described the situation surrounding Michael Medved's argument on Marvel's degradation of Captain America, and you are not going to believe how they put it here, or maybe you are:
In April, conservative commentator Michael Medved took Marvel Comics to task for allowing Captain America to question the United States' role and culpability in the "war on terror."
The problem here is two-fold:

First, what exactly do they mean when they say that Marvel "allowed" Steve Rogers to question the battle against an evil that even the Star-Spangled Avenger would find abhorrent? Is he a real person, and presumably was being hypnotized into being a 100-percent obedient slave, not on what the guv'ment would tell or make him do, but rather, on what Marvel themselves would?

This reminds me of an argument I was having once regarding Identity Crisis on a forum I no longer visit with a man who sounded like a moonbat, to whom I was trying to explain that, as I put it then, "I have never known Dr. Light to be a sodomist." And what did he say in reply to that? In a very cynical, contemptuous and nasty tone, he said, "neither did Wally West [The Flash]."

In other words, he indicated, and only then, that he'd already made up his mind about where he stood on the whole subject, and that being that he bought into what the miniseries published in 2004 claimed, NOT what the Justice League of America adventure from 1962 in which Dr. Light first appeared established. Well in that case, why'd he ever insist on arguing and upholding DC's dumb little controversy-baiting act in the first place?

That aside, this is exactly the problem that some of those who upheld Marvel's actions without rhyme or reason seemed to have, which was blurring the differences between reality and fiction. And if that's how they're going to argue, then simply put, they have no argument.

Second, there's the way that they refer to the war on terrorism, by putting it in between quotation marks. That, IMO, smacks of the notion of denying that terrorism exists, that there's a war that's got to be led against it, or that we even are at war with the nightmare at all. And considering where I live just now, that's one more reason why I find it offensive, and definately insulting.

Labels: , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.