« Home | Body counting is no fun » | Do Batman's OMAC creations make him hero or villain? » | Which Superhero are you quiz » | Why do I doubt these sales figures? » | Wonderful Women's World » | Is DC becoming Marvel-lite? » | PC-putdown of Bill Loebs' Flash run » | I thought Captain America was a fictional character » | "Wanted" embraces brutality as a positive, liberat... » | Shocking new trend in Manga » 

Friday, December 09, 2005 

One more dispiriting thing about Manga

Manga from Japan may have achieved some popularity in the United States in recent years, but while there are plenty of highlights, there are also some downsides, some of which may not even be known to the general public that could ultimately end up proving its undoing, unless some discretion is sought. From WKMG Local 6 News in Central Florida, here's a story of parents who found something most inappropriate for children at a library in Orange County, California:
Parents of a girl in Orange County, Fla., were shocked to discover that a comic book featuring adult-themed topics, like swinging and drugged and raped girls, was checked out by the 11-year-old at a library, according to a Local 6 News report.

The controversial Japanese comic book is part of a series that can be found in the young adult collection at the Orange County Library's Southeast Branch.

Local 6 News reported that the comic titled "Peach Girl" is about a young girl drugged by her friends and then set up to be raped.
I think I'm about to belch. This is what lingers in the minds of the writers/artists who put this stuff out in Japan? Shudder.
"As I was going through it, I said, 'Oh my God, do parents know what their kids are reading?'" mother Raynelle White said.
Now we know why parents are going to have to stop abdicating their responsibilities and start being responsible. As Stan the Man Lee said..."With great power, must come great responsibility!" Ditto with parents.
"Sex, drugs and violence are the themes in this series published by TokyoPop," Alvarez said.

White believes no one looked past the cover of the comic and it is time that things changed at the library.

"I don't want to see it; I don't want her seeing it," Travis White said. "The whole time, I'm like, 'I can't believe we're seeing these things.'"
And I don't want to see it either. Period. If this is what manga is all about, it's about as clever as sloshing through a muddy swamp.

That aside, those manga publishers sure have done a nice job in seeing to it that the fad for their products will wear thin, early or late. Yes, it's possible that the craze will grow old eventually. But this rotten egg will see to it that the aging process gets accelerated.
A spokeswoman for Orange County Libraries would not speak on camera but admitted there is not a screening process in place for books bound for the children's or young adult sections, Alvarez said.
Then start doing it NOW, if you don't want more complaints being filed upon your desks folks! And as for the publishers, I don't suppose maybe they'd like to start getting some sense into themselves for a change?

Manga is simply not all it's cracked up to be.

If this is what manga is all about, it's about as clever as sloshing through a muddy swamp.

Avi, this makes about as much sense as ignoring all American comics because someone found a Verotik comic or something else they found distasteful. Manga is more diverse than you give it credit for being. There's manga of all types for all demographics available on American shelves.

Sorry if I overreacted there, Ed. But one thing that's certain is that now, the public libraries are going to have to start taking proper steps to screen incoming Manga for appropriateness. And in Japan, it'd make things a lot better if they started using some more common sense!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.