« Home | Is this the worst publicity stunt of all? » | One really distasteful puff of toxic gas » | Dixon comes back to DC, and Connor Hawke gets a le... » | So THAT'S why the Silver Age Atom's getting shafted! » | Dublin's Captain America-dedicated resturant » | A far cry from the Kapitalist Kouriers » | Deconstruction, not innovation » | Yep, they're just warring with each other » | Comic book piracy online » | Interview with Barry Windsor-Smith » 

Sunday, June 18, 2006 

Image produces Task Force 1

Image Comics is publishing a new comic series called Task Force 1 that deals with a counterterrorist team going to war with terrorists in the post-9-11 era. One of the writers even took a look at some army websites for research:
Newsarama: There are a lot of super hero teams, what makes TASK FORCE 1 unique?

Jeffery Stevenson: This team has Jim, Carlos, Joel, Jason, Kris, and me making them look good.

The team for TASK FORCE 1 is a actually a team of military soldiers. BDUs, combat boots, armored vests, that work!, guns, and all that fun military gear. Volunteers wanting to defend their country, family, and friends.

They're also a look at what the military soldier could become. I took Jim Valentino's initial concepts and went through notes and press releases from the various military research centers, scientific journals and news sites, and the archives of the great DefenseTech.org blog to see if there were any patterns that could actually lead to the technology TASK FORCE 1 uses. There are.

It's still a work of fiction, minus encounters with mutants, the supernatural, aliens, magic, or super-genius time-travelling were-octopi pygmies, but there's a hint of possibility for practically all the tech seen in TASK FORCE 1, including the stuff used by the terrorists. At any moment, you might get hit with the thought, "damn, that really could happen."
I certainly hope that, even if this is only allegorical, that it'll give the reader something to think about, and so, I'll look forward to seeing what it's like.

Topic linked with: bRight & Early, Gribbit's Word, Mark My Words, Stop the ACLU.

Labels: ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.