« Home | Installed Haloscan commenting options » | If they think there's a problem, why don't they sp... » | A mainstream columnist's swipe at Civil War's detr... » | DC follows Marvel by letting propaganda company ab... » | An online comic taken down because of death threat... » | The flaccid outlines of a comic book adaptation of... » | Topps plummets to Bottoms » | Funny Mallard Fillmore strip about DC's steps with... » | Unpublished issue of Fantastic Four is now going t... » | There, that's it! The perfect template » 

Friday, August 04, 2006 

Defining terrorism in the comics world

Here's something to ponder that seems to be in a state of misuse in comics today: the definition of "terrorists." On the tenth week of DC's 52, we had an issue that involved Adrianna calling Black Adam a terrorist, and Clark Kent calling a bunch of Bahdnesian burglars who stole an ATV terrorists too.

It doesn't make sense the way they're doing it. In the case of Black Adam, when he raided Khandaq, it was to liberate it from the grip of a despot, and the way he's characterized today, he's far from being the kind of criminal that Abra Kadabra was when Mark Waid wrote a 2-part Flash story in 1992, in which it would seem as though Abra was considered the savior of the 64th century society he'd first lived in. But the truth is that, given how demented Abra is, if he were to really take over the rulership in the 64th century, he'd simply tune even the super-computer running the whole city to his favor, and become a dictator in his own way.

I guess you could more or less label Abra Kadabra as a terrorist - and a dictatorial hopeful.

And if there's any gangs you could certainly label terrorists in the DCU, it's Kobra and the H.I.V.E (Hierarchy of International Vengeance and Extermination), while over in Marvel, there's HYDRA and possibly A.I.M (Advanced Idea Mechanics).

As for the Bahdnesians, well, that's certainly exaggerated to call them terrorists, certainly if they're not resorting to lethal force. Problem is that, if my estimates are correct, this could ring of a subtle insult to the people who'd given Johnny Thunder his Hex-bolt genie, T-bolt, back in the Golden Age. So instead of taking the time to focus on evil entities like Kobra and H.I.V.E, they'd rather smear the ones for whom it doesn't make any sense to call them that.

That aside, judging from what I've viewed of 52 so far, it does not sound like my forte, seeing how they seem more interested in depicting Ralph Dibny in "serious" mode, effectively draining him what made him work in the first place. That's the whole problem with the series, that it seems more like an excuse to publish what they're less likely to succeed at if all these story segments were published seperately. Hence, no sale for me.

Labels:

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.