« Home | Wally West should be brought back » | Second carnival edition I'm posting » | Taking another apologist for Chomskyism to task » | When Superman was made to shill for Saddam » | Rob Kirkman compares Rob Liefeld to Kirby? Please. » | These are the Freedom Fighters? » | I've made my decision » | Zatanna: without a real purpose » | Blogging tip: A way to locate pictures uploaded ev... » | A babbling buffoon » 

Saturday, November 04, 2006 

John Cassaday, moral equationist

The comics industry has yet one more member to match any of the lowliest people in Hollywood you can find, this being one John Cassaday, artist for titles like Planetary (written by Warren Ellis, if I'm correct), who gave a ghastly interview to Shotgun Reviews, in which he resorted to moral equivalence, and even sleaze talk:
[interviewer:] You worked on the Marvel Knights relaunch of Captain America. Did you have any idea how controversial some aspects of the series would be at the time, and how do you feel about that in retrospect?

[John Cassaday:] I was traveling in Europe when it was released, our military was already sweating through Afghanistan, and the book got the full range of responses in Europe and back home. Many Europeans felt it was easily labeled right-wing propaganda, then I'd get the responses from people in the states that seemed to come out of nowhere on the other side of the argument. In fact, film reviewer, Michael Medved, wrote a review on it. He claimed our Captain America was a "traitor" and sympathetic to the terrorists! There was no winning! But I loved that about it. We produced a book that affected people and had them talking. Maybe the times were still too volatile, but I couldn't be happier with the results. It's one of the books I'm proudest of. I get tons of fans telling me that they started reading Cap again because of our run and that it's their favorite. Cap was and is my favorite superhero because there is something very relevant and timely about him. And that was the point.
AAAAAAAARRRRRGH!!! And he's saying all this without even taking into account that the Marvel Knight book's sales did go down and the book became even more unreadable as it limped along. The man certainly knows how to bring himself down to the level of some of the weakest of Hollywood's elite, and with that kind of contempt, he does not deserve a career.

Medved once wrote a column in late 2002 about how Hollywood stars were risking popularity for politics. Cassaday may have added himself to the list.

Labels: , , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.