« Home | These are the Freedom Fighters? » | I've made my decision » | Zatanna: without a real purpose » | Blogging tip: A way to locate pictures uploaded ev... » | A babbling buffoon » | Diversity = exploitation » | Jack London gets told in graphic novel format » | Having error in comments » | Has DC already crossed the line? » | Maybe Ant-Man is irredeemable... » 

Sunday, October 29, 2006 

Rob Kirkman compares Rob Liefeld to Kirby? Please.

Robert Kirkman, who's made a name for himself writing various Marvel books, recently compared Rob Liefeld to Jack Kirby, of all people in Wizard, the tabloid magazine on the comics world (Hat tip: Bobb)

Honestly, I think that Kirkman's gone a wee bit too far into silliness. Liefeld is one of the most overrated writers I know of from the 80s, and Cable sure wasn't anything to crow over. He was taken off of the 2 of 4 Heroes Reborn titles after less than a year in 1997, and what was a big mistake then was soon fixed when it became Heroes Return. As an artist, Liefeld's work ranges from okay to really awful, such as the recent job he did on Teen Titans, in Gail Simone's two-part story last year. Just take a look at the covers for the issues, #27-28. The necks are so weirdly penciled in there, look like they're filled with fat. GAH! Hawk and Dove deserve better than that. And once, when he drew a picture of Captain America in the late 90s, he made Steve Rogers look like a balloon! Another problem with his artwork is that the facial expressions are stagnant. Even his work at Image, where he was one of the first contributors to work for them, was worthless.

And yet, he strangely manages to make the comeback that various other writers and artists don't (Roger Stern is one writer I'd like to see make a comeback, but they don't even seem to hire him now). It's almost as if the editors are trying to insult the readers' intellect deliberately, and for all I know, they probably are. It's a feeling I got when Marvel assigned Humberto Ramos to draw Spectacular Spider-Man a few years ago too.

But whether DC and Marvel's willingness to keep on hiring him is deliberate, they certainly won't be tempting me anytime soon, that's for sure.

Labels: , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.