« Home | American Library Association promotes bad books fo... » | Well, there we are, it's done » | I'm going to switch to the new Blogger mode soon » | Thanks for ruining the Flash, DC » | Fifth carnival edition » | Wanted: new editors for DC Comics » | We could do without this cliffhanger, really » | Frank Miller scores again on NPR » | JMS insults the French on his way out from Fantast... » | DC's World War III appears to be just another kill... » 

Sunday, February 04, 2007 

Johns leaves Titans, but the next writer (surprise, surprise) may not be any better

So now, Geoff Johns is making a grand exit from the Teen Titans volume he was writing (H/T: Titans Tower Monitor). But who is he handing over the writing chores to? Adam Beechen, who is writing Robin, and, I'm sorry to say, has done quite a few things to tick off fans of Cassandra Cain, when DC editorial mandate decreed she be a villainess. As written about here, last year, Beechen, in his scripting for Robin, depicted Cass most disturbingly as a racial dragon lady stereotype, all the more disturbing given that she's a teen.

And even if Johns has revealed in TT #43 that Cassie was under the influence of drugs from Deathstroke, that doesn't excuse the racial stereotyping Beechen wallowed in last year, nor the fact that Cass was turned into a criminal in the first place. In fact, as far as storytelling is concerned, why should she have to have been? I'm sure that with a little work (and skillful writing), she could find a better mentor somewhere, not to mention a better foster family as well, and even ask the rest of the Bat-family if they could help her at it. Then, from there, she could go on to study towards her own path with a better mentor involved. Why should turning to the bad side be the only option?

And I really don't expect Beechen to be much better on this series, which is why I'll be avoiding any trades made of this, and other people more willing to get pamphlet issues than me these days would do best to avoid it too. (Actually, Robin does seem to be plummeting in sales now, thanks to Beechen's hack job; it wouldn't surprise me if it does cascade even further down the mountain in time.)

Labels: , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.