« Home | Fifth carnival edition » | Wanted: new editors for DC Comics » | We could do without this cliffhanger, really » | Frank Miller scores again on NPR » | JMS insults the French on his way out from Fantast... » | DC's World War III appears to be just another kill... » | Firestorm, The Political Man » | Masters of American Comics Exhibition through the ... » | Comic book class » | Finally! JMS is leaving Spider-Man at last » 

Friday, February 02, 2007 

Thanks for ruining the Flash, DC

Here's the analysis of monthly sales from The Beat that I'd wanted to look at earlier, and it tells that my favorite DC comics character, the Flash, has really suffered thanks to the steps they took that I never asked for:
Sales are still dropping like a stone. This is probably the most spectacular failure we’ve seen in the direct market in recent years, in terms of relaunches. DC seem to be terribly embarrassed by it; instead of following the handbook and trying to downplay and sugar-coat the book’s abysmal performance, they don’t even dare to mention it in their state-of-the-union interviews.
And I'm angry. When did I ever ask for Wally West to be replaced with a rendered-unrecognizable Bart Allen? I. did. not. And I wouldn't be surprised if plenty of other people didn't either, and were rightfully disappointed that Geoff Johns would not only end his run on it, but that the previous volume would end too, as if this had all of a sudden become one of those personal vanity series that exists only as a showcase for a specific writer.

So, belated as this may be, and it's not always easy to think of what to say, if I haven't said this before, then: I am against the tossing out of Wally West and Linda Park as protagonists, I am against the humiliation of Ralph and Sue Dibny, Ray Palmer and Jean Loring, I am against the replacing of Vic Sage with this Montoya character as The Question in 52, and I am also against the desecration of Blue Beetle. Is that so hard to make clear?

It's to be hoped that the free-falling sales to be seen in this list will start sending DC a message that people of my standing do not approve, not just of the exaggerated notion that we're willing to tolerate replacing generation after generation in contrast to Marvel, or the notion that we're willing to tolerate character assasination, but also of the alarmingly bad writing that's accompanied many of these One Year Later titles.

DC has gone so far out of their way to climb a high tree when they didn't have to. If they're smart, they'll start being honest and admit that they've really screwed up, tarnishing many of their legacy characters big and small, and start taking steps to fix things. Not to mention that this can't be a situation where "the show must go on." Because that doesn't solve anything, and only makes things worse, in perfect Emperor's New Clothes style.

Labels: , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.