« Home | Masters of American Comics Exhibition through the ... » | Comic book class » | Finally! JMS is leaving Spider-Man at last » | What if future Marvel and DC output resembles that... » | What is so wrong with Mary Jane? » | Can Tony Stark be redeemed? » | Belgium: a land full of comic books » | Nothing special about the new-New Avengers » | In the new Punisher series, S.H.I.E.L.D hires the ... » | Liberals in the comic world who balked at conserva... » 

Thursday, January 25, 2007 

Firestorm, The Political Man

In the now cancelled series featuring the "new" Firestorm, the writer, Stuart Moore, injected an anti-war advertisement in the 30th issue. From Comic Glutton, here's an excerpt of the speech:
When my father was young, they had a saying: "Never trust anyone over thirty." It sounds silly – but it was a very serious response to the times. Back then, a group of older men had a stranglehold on the federal government...

Today, a new group of men controls all the branches of the federal government. Men of power ... They lie to us about weapons of mass destruction. They ruin crucial government agencies with shameless cronyism, then watch as our cities flood and die. They preach morality while they steal our jobs and bankrupt our future, little by little – all the while grabbing more and more money for themselves.
Sigh. Again, another anti-war clown who won't look at any of the revelations that were made. It's been at least four years now, and still, we have writers who live in astounding states of self-denial.

It's also a far cry from back in the Bronze/Iron Age, when Firestorm, while there were stories involving political themes, was far from being as anti-war as this tommyrot is. Not to mention that, while Lorraine Reilly, the one being forced to utter that garbage, is the daughter of a senator, it's still far beyond her to go that route. I guess you could say this is another reason for the current series' undoing.

Labels: , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.