« Home | A look back at Calvin and Hobbes » | Mallard Fillmore and Chicks With Guns » | Spidey 3 features...the Sandman! » | Another DC x-over may be on the horizon » | West Coast Avengers #10: the member who almost joined » | Civil War finale delayed, but Scripps-Howard still... » | Amazing Marvel Universe » | The Express-Times sensationalizes Marvel's villifi... » | Film Fodder analyzes One Year Later » | Comics Buyer's Guide, vehicle for lip service » 

Thursday, January 18, 2007 

Liberals in the comic world who balked at conservative views

I looked at this old entry from Conservative Comic Book Pundit from almost two years ago, which spoke about the backlash against a book Marvel put out called Combat Zone: True Tales of GIs in Iraq, which reminded me of another, similar situation just shortly before it, which I'll get to in a moment:
This comic set off a firestorm - Rich Johnston over at Lying in the Gutters declared that this was the beginning of a neocon take over of comics (or something like that). In any case, his rabid hatred of conservatives came out in his reviews and message board posting over this comic. See - its okay for liberal world views to appear in comics by Mark Millar or whoever is writing Captain America at the time - but have a somewhat conservative journalist attempt to write a comic about the actual Iraqi conflict, and suddenly that's out of bounds.
A year before this, there had been something similar that happened, when opposition came out against the now defunct Crossgen's intention to publish a book called "American Power", written by Chuck Dixon. And the worst part is that, at least at that time, it was easy, because they were already folding.

In any case, I think this could make a good case for why something needs to be done to tell the industry that the time has come for them to start being more hospitable to conservatives who want to enter the fray. Dixon is a definite name to whom they could start thinking seriously about being more open to, but then, the audience also needs to begin by telling them that. If they're unwilling to allow conservatives to have their say, then how can they expect to survive?

On Rich Johnston, I'm not sure, but this seems to be the column in which he mentioned Combat Zone, and I have to wonder if the following was ever so:
Not only has this book been waiting for publication at Marvel for a while, but a number of artists have been approached, started on the book and then left when it's true nature was revealed.
Frankly, I doubt that this was ever the case, if the artists were being paid for their work, so it sounds more as though Johnston was just trying to pander to any anti-warrists who'd be reading his silly entry. (Update: Johnston says in the comments that it's true. I'll take his word for it, but then, if that was the case, then it sure is surprising that the artists would be that hostile to a standing that they don't dig.)

Labels:

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.