« Home | An Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome » | Is there hope for Ray Palmer and Jean Loring findi... » | Johns leaves Titans, but the next writer (surprise... » | American Library Association promotes bad books fo... » | Well, there we are, it's done » | I'm going to switch to the new Blogger mode soon » | Thanks for ruining the Flash, DC » | Fifth carnival edition » | Wanted: new editors for DC Comics » | We could do without this cliffhanger, really » 

Thursday, February 08, 2007 

Partisan politics need to be kept away from in comics for a change

Captain Comics of Scripps-Howard News fails to impress with what he has to say about Civil War's long-delayed finale:
Marvel's "Civil War" miniseries, which was originally scheduled to end in November, 2006, finally wraps up this month. A lot of people have loathed this "Marvel Event," which involved the publisher's entire line and split their superheroes down the middle in a political dispute over civil liberties vs. security. I've actually enjoyed it, and look forward to the new, politically charged landscape of the Marvel Universe. But I think everyone, including me, has been frustrated by all the delays.
More than just the delays, I'm afraid. It's because of how it attacks US government policy and the War on Terror, the opposition to illegal immigration, and even airport security measures, as J. Michael Straczynski's last issue of Fantastic Four could suggest.

And I do not look forward at all to if the MCU is going to be more politically charged now. Not that it hasn't ever been; there's plenty of political storylines to be found in many decades from the Golden Age till now. But they were far from being as vicious about it in past years as they are now, and with the way they've currently been shamelessly, mercilessly forcing their otherwise strictly one-sided political bias down the readers' throats, completely at the expense of any decent adventure stories and writing with real imagination involved, that's exactly why steering away from partisan politics would be much more welcome than what Capt. Comics suggests they might be up to. And if it is what they're going to do, to keep on stuffing the MCU full of political biases and overtones, well, that'll be bad, because then the damage will only continue being done.

Labels: , , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.