« Home | MOMA presents "Comic Abstraction" » | A note on recent comic-to-movie projects » | Yes, the Punisher is becoming Captain America. No,... » | Marshall Rogers, RIP » | I'm glad I didn't read the Ion maxi-series » | Eddie Berganza is laughable » | The Ice princess cometh back » | The top 15 unintentionally funny comic book panels » | Booster Gold to get a new series » | To them, this may be "it", but to me, it ain't » 

Thursday, March 29, 2007 

Launching a series from out of a crossover is not the way to go

I found a discussion on Chuck Dixon's board that spoke about something I hadn't really thought of before: how DC's been using crossovers like Zero Hour as a launching pad for series that ultimately didn't do well. As the first poster asks:
Here's my question...do comic companies 'push' ongoing series too quickly instead of doing a couple mini-series before launching an ongoing?
As replied to in this thread:
I think at least DC does. Look at the data from as far back as 10 years ago. Coming out of Zero Hour they tried to launch new on-goings without any kind of build-up beyond a scant mention in the mini. And save Starman all of them failed. Then they tried it again with series like Chase, Xero, Major Bummer, Young Heroes in Love, etc. and the same thing happened. The only "start from cold on-going" that took hold from that time period was Resurrection Man, and even that didn't last all that long. Now they've started doing it again with series like Manhunter and Bloodhound.

You'd think DC would've learned from the success of the formula that Birds of Prey employed and applied that to all concepts. I'd think you'd be able to tell by the second or third one-shot if the concept was going to be commercially viable. I think at the very minimum there should be a mini-series done before jumping into the on-going.
And so, we may have here an explanation as to what DC's mistakes are, that they're launching series from off of overrated x-overs, rather than to promote them in a way similar to how BoP was through a couple specials and minis (I own the 4-part Manhunt mini from 1996. Got it for a great price 3 years ago). And of course, as Identity/Infinite Crisis showed, they were also doing these things at the expense of older characters without even giving them a respectable send-off.

Obviously, that's something that's got to change, because introducing new characters and series through a company-wide crossover can ultimately lead to contrived results that simply don't wash. And one of the worst crossovers, from which some of the characters who may have appeared in ZH first showed up, was 1993's Bloodlines, which seemed to exist only for the sake of senseless bloodshed, courtesy of aliens who could do things we've already seen done in movies like Aliens, Predator, and Terminator. I recall reading at least two of the annuals this took place in - the Flash and Detective Comics annuals, and they were some of the most disgusting, blood-spattered "stories" I'd ever experienced. Thank goodness I never read the New Titans annual from then. The newly introduced protagonists who appeared there, such as Anima, Argus, Gunfire and Hitman, faded from view almost entirely within two years.

Bloodlines is also a textbook example of how comics lost their minds in pointless bloodshed during the 1990s. Stories like that are something we don't need either these days.

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.