« Home | Julius Schwartz would never have done it that way » | Toy Biz is out of business? » | If it's that far removed from the original, what's... » | Superheroes may always win, but how well does that... » | Is brainwashing not a way of causing mental insanity? » | New Shazam planned for DC's "Johnny DC" line » | Stop distorting history already » | Another look at Marvel's sales » | Jack Kirby finally gets remembered » | DC Comics hires some writers from Canada » 

Thursday, September 06, 2007 

College newspaper seems to understand what's gone wrong

The college newspaper The Equinox is telling what they find wrong with the comic book industry lately. I'll take the part about overhyped events as an example:
Every year, we hear of a story that will "change the character's life forever." Most of the time, the stories are either forgotten, or have no impact on the main character at all. A good example is the crossover event "Spider-Man: The Other". This was billed by Marvel Comics as an event that will have permanent effects on the old webslinger. What happened was that Spider-Man dies and then comes back with new powers. But if you read the books today, it is like the story never even happened.

"Spider-Man: The Other" was previously mentioned in the article about the top five worst comic book stories ever written. Peter David, a co-writer of the story actually responded online saying that the then current storyline of "Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man" had a reference to "the Other". After reading this, I went to my local comic shop and picked up the issue. And what was the reference?

Spider-man looked at the Sand Man and said "I was dead once". That was it. No more, no less. Sorry Mr. David, "I was dead once" doesn't count. Heck, Matt Murdock could say "I could see once", but does that directly reference the time he went to the movie theaters when he was seven?
Seems to me that the only thing they could think of that could supposedly have lasting effects on the legendary wall-crawler was that he'd be dead! Does he have to be in order to get new powers? Of course not, but regardless, I still find the Other's premise perfectly...dumb. So ironically, that could be why it's not being referenced, because it wasn't any good to begin with! All they were surely trying to do was to turn Spidey into some kind of larger-than-life figure he's not, and that doesn't work well at all with Peter Parker.

It's a good example of what kind of crap is being dumped in stores today, but there's still a lot more this article could've tackled. Nevertheless, the above is a start in describing the problems of recent. But I'd still be a lot happier if these college newspapers were willing to do more!

Labels:

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.