« Home | One bait-and-switch tactic that may have backfired » | Comic Book Carnival number thirteen » | What was the point of the GA/BC wedding special if... » | Toshiba taking manga abroad » | Today, I go to the Tel Aviv Sci-Fi Festival » | Chuck Dixon could be a little clearer » | Dan DiDio as Titans editor: a Jemas style publicit... » | A search that may take ages » | Teacher in New England who wrote comic book » | Going on a vacation to Eilat for three days » 

Thursday, October 04, 2007 

And now, regarding Marvel sales...

I took a look at this analysis for Marvel's own sales. People are still buying into their time-wasting company wide crossovers, or worse, mindlessly into Brian Bendis's stuff. However, I do see that Captain America, now being written minus its great hero, is dropping off in sales. But then, people should have known better than to buy the publicity stunt-laced 25th issue anyway. No matter what they've got in store, it's nothing compared to the impact they could make by honestly tackling some of the most pressing issues of today's world.

Update: very interesting. According to one of the commentors, Thunderbolts has undergone the variant cover treatment too:
Looks like I was right about T-bolts having a huge sales drop once the variant covers stopped and INITIATIVE banner was removed from the cover. That being said, the drop was no where near as big as I thought it would be. I think the reason why the book is still selling a lot more then the pre-INITIATIVE issues by the previous creative team, is because dealers MIGHT be ordering extra copies just in case many of the people who bought the book because of the INITIATIVE tie in, will still want to buy the book because they like the series new direction.
Let me guess, the mindless collectors have struck again, haven't they? I almost feel sorry for them at the same time I feel cross with them.

Update 2: and here's another thing to think about:
The sad truth of the matter, is that the current Marvel regime is only interested in heavily promoting and/or using gimmicks/stunts that last for 6 or more months on books that are written by creators who are either popular, critically acclaimed, and/or are celebrities. This is why Hudlin’s BP run had heavy promotion at the beginning, why Marvel allowed Hudlin to take Storm from the X-books and marry her and BP, and why the book has been saddled with crossovers and variant covers since the CW tie in issues. CABLE & DEADPOOL is NOT written by a writer who is either popular, critically acclaimed ,or a celebrity. This [is] why C&D isn’t getting as much promotion or gimmicks to make the book sale.
Down with celebrities-as-writers, I say! Because they're getting almost all the company backing, whereas all the truly dedicated get pushed to the sidelines. And because this is what'll ultimately ruin Marvel in the end.

Labels: , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.