« Home | "Shooting War" may be anti-war » | The revolting abuse of a once-great art form » | Hmm, maybe it's a good thing I didn't read "Planet... » | Jim Starlin: I think it's past his bedtime » | Comic Book Carnival Number Fourteen » | I wonder if Vertigo is destined to go the way of M... » | Superman's history in showbiz » | Student art forum networking » | An idea that should see light: a trade paperback o... » | Have Hasbro and Paramount listened to the GI Joe f... » 

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 

Old Marvel classics go online

The AP Wire reports that Marvel is publishing some of its older archives on the internet. DC and Dark Horse have had some of their own publications go online too.
LOS ANGELES -- Marvel is putting some of its older comics online today, hoping to reintroduce young people to the X-Men and Fantastic Four by showcasing the original issues in which such characters appeared.

It's a tentative move onto the Internet: Comics can only be viewed in a Web browser, not downloaded, and new issues will only go online at least six months after they first appear in print.

Still, it represents perhaps the comics industry's most aggressive Web push yet. Even as their creations -- from Iron Man to Wonder Woman -- become increasingly visible in pop culture through new movies and video games, old-school comics publishers rely primarily on specialized, out-of-the-way comic shops for distribution of their bread-and-butter product.
I'm of mixed minds about how this being done, since, as great as it could be to read a lot of the old stuff online, I still would rather own it all in book format, as that's actually easier to handle, and much more relaxing too, to sit on a couch and be absorbed by the great old stories of yesteryear.
The publisher is hoping fans will be intrigued enough about the origins of those characters to shell out $9.99 a month, or $4.99 monthly with a year-long commitment. For that price, they'll be able to poke through, say, the first 100 issues of Stan Lee's 1963 creation "Amazing Spider-Man" at their leisure, along with more recent titles like "House of M" and "Young Avengers." Comics can be viewed in several different formats, including frame-by-frame navigation.
First, I personally think I'd want to have that money around to buy an archive collection with in book format, and not just to spend for an online readership subscription, also because the comics may not be savable to disk. Ten dollars, depending on what that's needed for, is a lot of money, pretty much what plenty of movies can cost today. Second, I think the AP made a big mistake mentioning something like House of M, one of the most needless crossovers of recent. Anyone who wants their money's worth in products online would be making a big mistake to subscribe to read that dreadful miniseries!

Labels: , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.