« Home | Marvel used to be good at selling comics, but what... » | Barry Allen creating the Speed Force is too much t... » | Comic Book Carnival Thirty-Six » | Disney Corp. buys Marvel properties » | Colorado Gazette shows no love for Iron Man » | Only 2 Milestone members left in the DCU » | Steve Ditko's "In Principle: Unchecked Premise" » | Tony Stark is being Disassembled » | Is Stan Lee finally beginning to speak up? » | Wash. Post is right: publishers missing opportunities » 

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 

American comics are institutionally racist?

Here's a challenging subject the site of IO9 brought up a short time ago. They're asking if comics are institutionally racist. Tom Brevoort wrote an answer to a fan question about comics with non-white male leads not selling well that:
I don't know that it's any one thing, but if I had to hazard a guess, I would say that it's all part of the same phenomenon that makes it more difficult to sell series with female leads, or African-American leads, or leads of any other particular cultural bent. Because we're an American company whose primary distribution is centered around America, the great majority of our existing audience seems to be white American males. So while within that demographic you'll find people who are interested in a wide assortment of characters of diverse ethnicities and backgrounds, whenever your leads are white American males, you've got a better chance of reaching more people overall.
I can't claim to be an expert here, but I'd wager a guess that the reasons why they don't sell well are either because they're not written well, certainly not today, and definitely because they weren't marketed and promoted well. And if they're being marketed just according to the protagonist's race instead of story quality (as in the case of DC's recent Firestorm, Atom and Blue Beetle), that's another strike against.

But this article also ignores some much deeper matters, such as Marvel's publishing a race-baiting miniseries in 2003 called The Truth: Red, White and Black, which featured stereotypical artwork alongside a Chomskyite-level story. If memory serves, Brevoort may have supported that miniseries too. In that case, who is he to address this issue when his own company did something utterly tasteless, and even today hasn't disavowed it from canon?

Labels: , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.