« Home | An unpublished Green Lantern Nintendo game from 1994 » | Billy Tucci's Child is Born graphic novel will als... » | The Peanuts effect » | Hank McCoy gets a new look as Beast » | The many mistakes made with Spidey » | France's Charlie Hebdo will publish comics based o... » | Comics store manager in California acknowledges ho... » | Peter David suffers stroke » | Stan Lee's 90th » | Bleeding Cool downplays the seriousness of Doc Ock... » 

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 

David Goyer says it's more challenging to write Superman's movie than Batman's

The Global Dispatch says David Goyer, the screenwriter/comics writer who's worked on the Man of Steel movie set to debut this June 14, found it harder to develop this than the Batman movies Christopher Nolan worked on, but thinks it'll work:
“I’m really proud of it,” begins Goyer. “I never thought I would be doing a Superman film, but I think the only possible way to top myself or ourselves on Batman is to tackle Superman, who’s kind of the Granddaddy of all the superheroes.

“He’s trickier, it’s kind of easier doing a dark character who doesn’t have any super powers, but I’m really proud of what we’ve done and I can’t wait for people to see it.”
Well I sure hope the end result is worthy of our time without being forcibly dark and adherent to political correctness like the Superman Returns movie from 2006 was with its omissions of The American Way from its storyboards, for example.

And I can't and won't agree that it's easier writing a dark character than a bright one. Plenty of adventure movies of years gone by featured optimism, and if they did have their dark moments, it didn't overshadow the bright ones at all costs. For all we know, it could surely be possible to write a film starring a hero without superpowers that's bright and optimistic too. Similarly, a film starring a dark hero who does have super powers could also be possible. The filmmakers have to have some faith in themselves to do it right.

Labels: ,

From experience, it is easier to write a depressing and cynical story than it is to write a convincing optimistic one.

Note the key word: convincing.

I find that I could write both rather easily, or perhaps a mixture of the two. It is possible to do a darker story with hints of optimism.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.