« Home | Ron Marz (and Kurt Busiek) admits what went wrong ... » | Kieron Gillen sounds like he's planning a controve... » | Library professor finds research by Wertham he lef... » | 2 more galling tweets by Gail Simone » | Uh oh: DC's publishing an Occupy-style comic » | Dan Slott tries to defend his leftist positions » | Kevin Smith cannot be a real comics fan » | There are Latino superheroes, but why no Latino su... » | Tony Stark is an atheist now? » | Hawkwoman's life turned into a New 52 sacrifice » 

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 

Geoff Johns leaving the Green Lantern titles

Speaking of Green Lantern, the awful Geoff Johns has announced he's stepping down from his post of writing the series after nearly a decade. He blabbered to the press:
"I'm really proud of all the stuff we've built with Green Lantern — from Larfleeze to the different corps," Johns told The Associated Press about his decision. "The universe has expanded and will live well past my run. It was more than just telling another story, but really giving back to the character by expanding and adding to their mythology." [...]

"I was getting to an end point and a story line that made sense for me. I felt like it was time to close my run and focus all my energies on the Justice League corner of the DC Universe," he said, noting that his stories were collaborative efforts with artists and editors like Ivan Reis, Joe Prado, Van Sciver and Peter Tomasi.

"It was a very, very hard decision. I absolutely love these characters but I felt like I had a story line that really made sense and felt emotionally satisfying and felt very big and very epic."

He's taking some characters from Green Lantern with him, too, including Simon Baz, a Muslim-American Green Lantern that Johns created.
Oh, he must be really proud of himself for the insult to the intellect he crafted with that one. But I think it's going a long way to assume the GL lore will live well past his work, and it always makes me shake my head whenever overrated writers like him claim they "love" the characters, then submerge them in horrific mayhem all for the sake of sensationalism.

And how does it make sense for Hal Jordan to be bitter over the death of his father and not enjoy the positive things he comes by in life all because of that? That was preposterous, and ultimately, sales were never blockbuster-sized on the book in the end.

He may not have worked on GL as long as Denny O'Neil did (during 1968-80), but he certainly was on the book far too long all the same, and nothing positive ever really came of it, especially with all the crossovers GL got tangled up in, such as Blackest Night. The heavy-handed nods to nostalgia didn't help either. Johns may think he's a genius, but history will know better.

Labels: , , , , ,

Its really amazing post


Inspirational quotes

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.