« Home | Saladin Ahmed and his anti-Jewish/Israeli rhetoric... » | France's big love for comics » | Is Image switching to trades-only formats? » | The Family Guy cartoon stops scripting homosexual ... » | Gail Simone turns against Mike Baron, unable to ta... » | Why would a university diversity advocate screen t... » | Both Marvel and Star Wars products see considerabl... » | Some Marvel movie projects may have been cancelled » | Hal Jordan is being turned into a killer again » | Gerry Conway's still ashamed he created the Punisher » 

Sunday, January 20, 2019 

George Perez is retiring from artwork

Perez, famous for his work on Avengers, New Teen Titans and Wonder Woman, among several other notable comics, is retiring from artistry because of health issues (via Batman News):
To all my loyal and kind fans who have supported me throughout the decades,

In recent months, there has been a great deal of speculation as to the future of my career, my health, my ability to draw and my future convention appearances. As a result, I would like to clear up everything first hand so that, hopefully, any rumors, speculation and misinformation can be laid to rest.

With respect to future published work in comics and such ... while I know it’s been no secret that I’ve been dealing with a myriad number of health issues (diabetes, heart ailments, vision issues, etc.), they have indeed have forced me to, for all intents and purposes, formally retire from the business of creating new comic stories.

As for home commission requests, I’m afraid that my retirement must now extend to privately commissioned drawings as well. While I am gratified that all of the customers who have received their pieces were more than pleased with the results, some even consequently commissioning more of them, it’s just becoming too much of a strain on my eyes to produce the fully rendered ink and pencil-tone pieces on a quality level that justifies the price I’m being paid for them.
It's certainly sad such a talented artist is now forced to resign from his career due to the unfortunate health issues he's been coping with, but I understand fully it's all for his benefit in the future. I do know this: it's also regrettable that, if we look at the SJWs who've flooded the industry of late, very few are bound to look to Perez as inspiration to draw from, even though he had some of the best character designs to offer when he was more active.

For now, I wish him a good retirement, and thank him for the good he did in his time for the industry, and it's a shame that one of the real talents has to abandon his career at a time when the medium could use more folks like him instead of the alarmingly untalented hacks who became more common at Marvel over the past few years.

Labels: , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.