« Home | Standpoint's take on the state of the industry » | Harper-Collins launching a graphic novel line » | The filmmaker behind the new Joker movie doesn't w... » | Manga sales rise in USA as their own comics sink » | A Chicago comics store was vandalized by pride par... » | Sugarcoated EW article about new money-wasters » | How many Disney cartoons are going to be live-acti... » | It looks like Marvel had reason to rid themselves ... » | Scott Lobdell was accused of another instance of s... » | How Spider-Man's secret identity was turned into a... » 

Monday, July 15, 2019 

A football player's comics fandom

Rodney Anderson, running back for the Cincinatti Bengals, was interviewed at their website about his reading hobby when he's not on the sports field, along with his fandom for Star Wars. It's an interesting and impressive look back at his pop culture fandom, but I think his view of how the films influence people's perceptions of the comics is flawed:
A recent generation of NFL players have embraced the characters and storytelling that captured fans' imaginations over the years in comics, anime and video games. Bengals defensive lineman Carl Lawson has said that Dragon Ball Z was actually part of his inspiration to play football in the first place.

“I think with the success of the movies it changed people’s perceptions,” said Rodney Anderson. “Before people wouldn’t read the comics unless you had true interest in it. For me, I feel like the movies do the comic books justice, as long as they are done right.”
Well I'm sorry to say, but as even store managers have confirmed, Hollywood's not changing perceptions. Certainly not enough to buy a lot of the modern output they're trying to sell. Why, the anti-Comicsgate advocates and SJWs are practically ruining everything, turning fans back into outcasts again, and it goes without saying that kind of negativity can rub off on moviegoers to boot, which is bad even for their image.

I think it's great football players are proud of being comics fans and glad to have a collection, but looking at everything through a rose-colored lens won't save the medium. In the end, when the industry collapses, everything's going to look like a joke.

Labels: , , ,

You delete honest question and yet you let slop like this stay?

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.