« Home | Warner Brothers made a big mistake if Maxwell Lord... » | NBC believes Superman's secret identity is through... » | Russia Today addresses the topic of forced diversity » | Rutgers paper asks - but doesn't answer - why Japa... » | Cleveland doesn't hold its Superman and comics her... » | Polygon pushes for Marvel to shove more transgende... » | Alabama native's potentially politically motivated... » | Marvel supports transgender propaganda hurtful to ... » | A solo comic for Loki got cancelled very fast » | Ewan McGregor sees Black Mask as the perfect villa... » 

Sunday, December 15, 2019 

Why is Geoff Johns' Stargirl such a big deal, but not Jerry Siegel's Star Spangled Kid?

There's a television program in the works for Courtney Whitmore, the female take on the male role begun in the Golden Age starring Sylvester Pemberton as the Star-Spangled Kid, though curiously, Warner Brothers TV doesn't seem to be giving it top promotion:
Even with this year's events such as San Diego Comic-Con and New York Comic Con, both locations where Warner Bros. TV had a clear DC TV presence, the company did not include any Stargirl promotion. Little has been released about the new series lately, with DC seemingly focusing on its other shows. However, since Titans has finished airing its season 2, and with Harley Quinn currently running, Stargirl is set to be the next original series to premiere on DC Universe.
There was a video promo uploaded on YouTube, but it's been removed from Screen Rant's site. Does this mean they don't have much faith in it? Well I do recall the solo book Whitmore debuted in was short-lived, and it was said Whitmore creator Geoff Johns didn't do a good job. All that aside, what I want to know is why this brand new, modern female variation on Jerry Siegel and Hal Sherman's teen crimefighter of the Golden Age (whose partner in crimefighting, Stripesy/Pat Dugan, was notably the older of the duo) is what they chose to spotlight, instead of the original GA creation. Do I sense another Captain Marvel in the works, meaning, a project that could end up being almost similar to Brie Larson's embarrassment?

Last time I looked, the trailer video was available here, and what I noticed is that for Stargirl's weapon, it seems to draw more on the cosmic rod from James Robinson's overrated 1994-2000 Starman series. And looking in the comments section, I noticed this:
That's about the most un--sexy midriff costume ever.
Interesting observation. Practically none of the overall costume looks sexy either. In any event, I have no interest in seeing a series based on the works of a crude, pretentious writer I distanced myself from years ago, and have since taken the time to re-evaluate some of the stories he'd written that I read. It's always possible it'll turn to blatant leftism somewhere along the way anyway, and if DC's doing a bad job with the comics, that's why I concluded it's not worth giving an audience to the live action adaptations, as they clearly care far more about those than the comics proper. I don't know if the original Star-Spangled Kid tales from the Golden Age are published in archives yet, but those are decidedly what I prefer to check out, along with Pemberton's later adventures in Infinity Inc, where his codename was changed to Skyman.

And if the Stargirl TV show doesn't succeed, I won't feel sorry. Johns is not a writer whose work deserves an audience.

Labels: , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.