« Home | Fortune magazine takes a look at survival of the s... » | Sonora Union Democrat sugarcoats more young adult ... » | Marz and Banks still see nothing wrong with the di... » | If they haven't made it matter for 2 decades, they... » | Dan Slott is leaving Iron Man » | It would NOT have been a good idea for Michael Jac... » | Jim Starlin sees pamphlets as an outmoded format » | CBR sugarcoats Geoff Johns' terrible Red Zone Aven... » | Direct sales ruined the industry » | More on the overused premises of Superman killing ... » 

Wednesday, May 06, 2020 

Jim Lee draws another villain from Superman lore, but not Superman himself

CBR's reporting that Lee's taken to drawing charity sketches of a villain from the Silver Age Superman tales called Composite Superman:
DC Comics Publisher Jim Lee has reached into the depths of comic book history for his latest charity sketch, bringing the Silver Age villain known as Composite Superman into the fold.

One-half Superman and one-half Batman, Composite Superman is a character who, naturally, serves as an adversary to both the Man of Steel and the Dark Knight. Created by Edmond Hamilton and Curt Swan, Composite Superman first appeared in 1964's World's Finest Comics #142. Lee's new drawing of the classic baddie was revealed by Multiversity Comics and is currently up for auction on Ebay, with bidding set to end on Wednesday afternoon. At the time of writing, the artwork has amassed a price tag of $8,300 USD.
So far I've read news of Lee drawing Batman, Bizarro, the Joker and now this particular aforementioned villain...but no Superman. Gee, how odd. Why is the hero being sidelined for the sake of some evil clone who combines elements of Batman to boot? If I were an artist and wanted to draw charity sketches, I'd go with the figure who provides the real inspiration, the Man of Steel, and even Superboy, Supergirl, Lois Lane, Lana Lang and Jimmy Olson could make good choices. Yet here we go again with villains getting more of the spotlight, and it's honestly getting irritating now, no matter how entertaining I find the stories starring the villains in question. Sure, I did find that Lee drew some pictures of a few other goodies recently, but these villainous illustrations are still hogging the much of the spotlight, and that's why I find this annoying news.

And I won't be spending so much money as they're charging to buy portraits of villains. Because evil isn't something to admire, not even in fiction. When I want artwork on the walls of my house, I look for heroes. Because that's whom we should admire and find inspiration in.

Labels: , , ,

He is donating his time and work and talent at no charge, raising thousands of dollars in the process, so it seems a bit churlish to criticize him for what he draws. And any way you look at it, Composite Superman is going to raise more money for charity at auction than a drawing of Lana Lang.

Lee doesn't even choose what he draws, it's instead chosen by the winner of the bid for the last sketch. You're critizing him for something he has no control over because he wanted to do something extra nice for the winners.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.