« Home | IDW is next publisher to move from Diamond to Peng... » | Young adult writer creating Jewish comic star draw... » | 3 interviews with Larry Hama » | A comic based on Call of Duty: Vanguard » | Sid Jacobson's 9-11 graphic novel » | Another film director takes issue with Marvel movies » | Bob Harras never actually read Voodoo when it was ... » | Marvel/DC stopping artists from selling NFTs » | Cowboy Bebop's live action producer is such a joke » | Al Ewing's hypocrisy » 

Tuesday, September 21, 2021 

Tony Akins specialized in blood and gore when he was working on Wonder Woman during New 52

Here's another interview from Multiversity with an artist who'd worked at DC during their farcical, pointless New 52 charade, and what Tony Akins has to say isn't particularly impressive:
How did you come about being the guy who was going to be alternating with Cliff Chiang on “Wonder Woman?”

Tony Akins: Well, I think it starts with Brian Azzarrello and Cliff and whatever was going on at editorial at the time when they landed this gig. Brian, and I had worked together, we were friends and so I, I think that Brian had nailed down the tone of the story and wanted a strong horror aspect. And he knew that was like right up my alley. Brian and I had done some work in the early 90s that had sort of had really crazy monsters and manga influence on the page that he really enjoyed. And I think he enjoyed it because he just needed to write a couple of sentences, I ran with it. But I think he wanted the same insanity in “Wonder Woman” too.

But you know what that means? He had to like, really strain to keep editorial out of the mix. And he’s told me and I’ve heard that he acquired this nickname, ‘the Curtain of Scorn.’ So I guess anytime editorial folks are wanting to know what direction the story was going in, they got that look from Brian. You know, just back off. So yeah, I think I was brought in, because Brian and I had a working release relationship prior. I think Brian really wanted something sinister in a settling to, to lace through the stories.
That's the problem with much modern storytelling. Too much reliance on dark themes, including - but not limited to - horror. It's simply atrocious. And here's another eyebrow raiser:
I have not really read the full run in a while, but in anticipation of talking to you today, I was just kind of scrolling through some of the issues that you worked on in the book, and I was really taken by how especially there’s, there’s one or two issues that you draw, that Diana barely appears in it. Those stories are much more about the other gods. And I was wondering if, if that was sort of by design, if it was if it was decided upon, at some point, that you would be leaned on for the stories that were more about Ares and the other gods that were showing up, and that Cliff would be doing more of the Diana stuff? Or if that’s just kind of happenstance from which scripts you went up getting?

TA: I would say it was by design, that I handled Diana less, because I you know, I’m not a superhero guy. In looking back on those issues. my one take on it is, you know, if were to change something, it would be how I approached her, because I just, you know, again, not being a superhero guy, I felt that I didn’t do justice to her. And in fact, when I turned my issue in, which was on time, I got pushback from editorial on how I drew her and I had the time to address some of those. And I you know, maybe because of Brian’s ‘Curtain of Scorn’ stance on protecting the title, editorial may have come to a compromise rather than having me replaced. They would just have me draw around, Diana, and I’m sure Brian didn’t have a problem with that. And in fact, I was asked to sort of approach Cliff’s style just to, you know, keep the whole flavor on the page. But yeah, it’s Cliff’s book. So you know, that was the line I felt that I needed to toe.

So I think that they probably did come to the decision where, you know, political, financial, you know, the Diana centric stories. You know, handle all the big daddies, it seems really confident that I would handle anything that was especially bloody or gory. Fantastic. I’m always happy with my monsters, my designs and that, from Hades to you know, the other things that landed on the page that were, you know, just fantastic.
Even for an artist, that's got to be a serious weakness if they're not into superheroes despite the assignment, making this more a case of doing it more for money than glory. And that Akins would specialize in gore is decidedly something to disapprove of. Especially after reading this:
Do you remember what they had issue with with your Diana?

TA: She wasn’t pretty enough. I know, Cliff got some pushback, too, but that would fit into the way he did handle her, which fell within his stylistic range. And so it it, it melded with the rest of the art that he was dropping, but for me, it was a real struggle. You know, again, I’m culturally, editorially, I’m not that type of artist, I tend to be more naturalistic. Or, you know, just flat out, you know, sensationalistic with, you know, really broad, cartoony actions. So it was hard for me to walk away with that. So, I think the one is a sequence, at the Tower Bridge, where she is confronting these assassins, the centers who are the woman she’s protecting and all of that is great. I mean, I enjoyed all of that and did the best I could on Diana, and I guess they were happy with that.

But the one place they did check me was just the amount of gore that I had on the other page. And which, which is unfortunate because you know, they could have broken some sensitive viewer threshold, so it’s fun.
If the editors really did draw the line on some of the gore, of course that's pretty surprising, considering how such elements turned up increasingly in the past 30 years, all for cheap sensationalism, an approach he suggests is acceptable. Equally surprising for the time, if not today, is if they thought Akins' character design for WW wasn't attractive enough, because in the decade since, things have changed quite a bit for the sake of wokeness, and art merit's become less of a concern.
One of the things that I love about that run is how you and Cliff work in concert. I don’t think you’re very much like Cliff in your art style, but you two managed to work together so well that it didn’t feel jarring as you’re reading the book. And part of that I’m sure is the coloring and all that but it felt like a really good mixture of styles. But I also feel like your issues always had this really dark undercurrent and part of that is because of the characters you were drawing. But also as your work, like you said, leans towards horror. So when you were told or asked or whatever to try to sort of match Cliff’s style, what were you doing to your work to allow that match to happen? How did you adjust your work?

TA: I adjusted it through line quality; I tend to work the finer line. I guess I bought flatter [approach to] coloring that would be more of a sort of flat, animation type of color. So those are the two things that I kept in mind. Cliff is much more sophisticated than I am, design wise. And because I say that because he works he gets more work done with less than. I’ve been on jobs before, and I worked in a studio as a young artist, where we have to basically mimic the lead artists style so you know developed a critical eye.

Plus I just admired Cliff’s work, so I was easy, well not easy, but I was heated up to understand where I needed to push my work, curtailed by [his] style.

Did it come from you or Azzarrello to make him the inspiration for Ares?

TA: Brian said “Ares is me, but just imagine he’s covered in blood.” You know from His hands to his elbows in, you know, his pant legs also so it’s like he’s, he’s been messing around just bats of blood walking around the streets. Okay, that’s pretty easy. Brian is pretty easy to capture in a drawing.
And that's another something known as cheap sensationalism and shock value. More troubling, however, is the following near the end:
Now, you were on the book on an off until issue 19. Do you remember why you stepped away from the book?

TA: I was burnt out. I had just moved from Chicago to Seattle. It was a big move. In fact, the news that Brian was on the book came to me while I was scouting out a place to live in Seattle. I was crossing the street with my my partner. She was late, and we were looking for apartments. We’re on Capitol Hill. And I got a call and so it’s crossing some road. I saw there’s Brian and I picked it up. “Hey, what’s up?” It’s like, “what do you think of ‘Wonder Woman’” and like,” I don’t, why?” He’s like, “well, I’ve got the book. And we’re gonna play, you know, we’re gonna do what we want with all the toys. And then we got to put it back for, you know, X number of issues. So I’ll email you what I’m thinking.”

And that’s kind of like the news. And I said, Yes. I said, Yes, right there on the spot, because again, I worked with Brian. And I knew Brian and I thought about hooking up with him again. But that was a Sunday that he called me because I remember I was preparing the next day to go down to Dark Horse, because I’d been dancing with Scott Allie about the next Buffy season, because he wanted me on it. We were going through the back and forth with the talent representation of, you know, the actors because they think they have to look a certain way on the page.

And so it just got to the point where you know, I’m going to find a place to live, and then the following Monday, take up, take a train down to Portland, walk into Dark Horse’s offices, sit down with Scott and just like, get this done. Then Brian called me, and that was it. I called Scott the next day and said, “Hey, listen, I was going to come down there and just sit in the office and get this done.” Scott was like, “well, that wouldn’t have been a good idea.” But, you know, that’s that that was my plan, you know, because I wanted, you know, I needed to win the next gig.

So yeah, Brian, calls me and I just say yes, right here on the street. And that was it for Dark Horse. I did talk to Scott the next day and, in fact, I was torn about it, because “Buffy” was still not clearly in my hands and “Wonder Woman” was, you know, clearly offered. Scott says, “Well, what do you want more?” And based on, you know, ‘the bird in the hand?’ I said, “Wonder Woman.”
What's this here? He's discussing the disgraced ex-Dark Horse editor as though nothing happened?!? This is even more embarrassing. Certainly if he doesn't acknowledge Allie did wrong, and say he's glad the man's gone from the industry now.

In any event, Akins sounds to me like one of many poor choices and fits for the superhero genre, and should never have been hired for working on WW, yet this has become common practice among the mainstream today, to assign all the people whose experience and understanding of the material is dreadful.

Labels: , , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.