« Home | The chances Polygon would allow an article like th... » | What Matthew Rosenberg said in additional defense ... » | Another needless reboot for the Avengers » | Eric Nguyen creates comic where a "white savior" i... » | Of course Netflix isn't a good place for comics ad... » | Tidal Wave thinks Brittney Griner's story is worth... » | Marvel no longer qualifies for producing Predator ... » | What a biblical scholar thinks of the California c... » | Recent Wolverine/Deadpool story employs gore » | Co-creator of Rick & Morty cartoon arrested for do... » 

Thursday, January 26, 2023 

New Jersey writer talks about his back issue collection

A writer at Jersey's Best discusses his back issue collection and how he built it up years before. And, he says that:
The collecting had taken over, and instead of just getting to read about world-saving shenanigans, I also wanted to complete a series, or get that “hot” book of the month. It was fun, though more expensive and not quite as thrilling as being transported to fantastic worlds during those long, hot summer days, when I never knew what book I’d find. I went from “Who’d make me a costume if I suddenly got superpowers,” to “I wonder how much I could sell these for?” Which I never did. I’m notoriously lazy and a bit of a hoarder, so I have a few boxes of comic books that I may never get rid of.
If the back issues aren't in the best condition, that's one reason he may find it difficult. But another is that, if his pamphlets are only from the past 40-50 years, they're unlikely to be worth much regardless. There's only so much from those eras that hasn't qualified in the eyes of the speculator market for serious payments like the Golden/Silver Age publications already have.
There are still a few books I like to pick up now and then, but I’m by no means an avid comic book collector. No. It’s more like the old days for me, but with a modern twist. Today, I can spin through thousands of comics any time of day on my iPad, stream television versions of them or settle down for a 3-hour blockbuster movie.
Well doesn't that solve the desire to get an entire series of the past so you can read the complete storyline, if it takes up several issues? Whether he can jettison his pamphlet collection, what's available on iPad helps to do all that, and so too does being able to buy whatever's available in paperback/hardcover reprints, which are easily a better choice, IMO. The live action movies and TV shows, however, do not appeal to me anymore.

The columnist also wrote a list of the most valued comics of the past year or so, but as I've said before, I'm not impressed with the speculator market, since it's uninterested in the reading value of the classics in question. I think it's great he collected and read what he did, but it's a shame writers like these won't make a case for improving the quality of writing and art in modern comics, which has collapsed under the weight of PC, and so long as the Big Two are corporate owned, will never recover.

Labels: , , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.