« Home | New GN addresses housing issues » | Marvel still employs a most unsuitable and reprehe... » | Nottingham's first InkBlot festival » | University of Wyoming sets up exhibit of Stan Lee'... » | 23rd East Coast Black Age convention » | Former X-Men 97 producer confirms he deliberately ... » | A planned Marvel TV show based on a Dan Slott crea... » | Jerry Seinfeld regrets late 2000s animated movie b... » | Don Perlin passes away at 94 » | Tom King thinks WW should be a "rebel", as if that... » 

Friday, May 24, 2024 

Reading comics on tablets like the iPad

A writer at Tom's Guide tells all about his use of an iPad for reading comics online:
The iPad Pro 2024 is one of the best iPads and best tablets I’ve ever reviewed. Actually, let me rephrase that. It is the best so far. Though I’m impressed by this slate’s powerful Apple M4-driven performance, what gets me excited is the vibrant OLED display and thinner design. Not only does everything look great on the iPad Pro, but the device is also comfortable to hold for long stretches.

I mainly use tablets for two reasons — watching YouTube videos and reading. I love reading comic books on an iPad Pro since its display is slightly larger than a standard American comic book. Because of that, I can approximate reading a real comic without having to zoom in to read text or make out fine details. With respect to physical books, I just prefer reading digital books and comics.
Hey, it's great if he likes digital, but, I don't think it should come at the expense of physical. Let's also consider that unlike paper books, a computerized device needs energy to operate, and suppose there was a blackout in the neighborhood, not unlike New York's past examples? How could you read comics at ease on a computer if the battery on a tablet ran out? Just one reason why digital can't replace physical. Nevertheless, I will say it's impressive the display looks larger than the printed panel, but maybe that's why publishers should enlarge the printed format? Why don't they ever think of these things? The article also talks about the Big Two:
Many digital comics apps like Marvel Unlimited, DC Universe Infinite and Comixology (which has been folded into the Kindle app) have a guided view mode that zooms into panels and text. While I appreciate that this feature exists, I prefer having an entire comic page in front of me instead of individual panels.
When the Big Two come up in topics like these, I can't help but wonder what kind of comics the guy's reading there - old or new? As I've made clear before, it's ill-advised to bankroll their brand new products since the early 2000s, because they've become awful, and continuing to finance them only prolongs the sale of bad stories and art that ruined both publishers, all for the sake of special-effects laden live action movies that can't be considered a replacement or a substitute.

At least he acknowledges it works better to have a whole page to read rather than single panels. Single panel displays only make things more difficult.

Labels: , , , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.