« Home | Marvel signs a 10-movie deal with Paramount » | Aquaman gets no respect? » | Sunbury's Daily Item: IC's 9-11 tie-ins confirmed » | Beginning now as a contributing columnist for Pape... » | The more things "change" the more they end up appa... » | "TC" for terrorism chic? » | And now...conservative comic books come into play » | I'm boycotting Bill Willingham's books » | Going on a trip up north tomorrow » | Manga movies » 

Thursday, September 15, 2005 

Someone who's mainly a DC fan

In a recent issue of the Daily Dunklin Democrat (from Missouri, I think), a writer talks about how he came to be a comics reader, and was mainly a DC fan:
"I still read them today, mostly DC characters. Even though I subscribe to many Marvel titles, I still consider myself a DC man, for no reason other than that DC's heroes first caught my eye. These superheroes represented something that caught my attention, but what about them was so interesting?

In my younger days I think it was because I yearned for the glory, or the seeming glory, others had in academics or the baseball field or the basketball court that I didn't. For me it was easier living vicariously through the glory of superheroes, knowing, on the outside I might be painfully ordinary, on the inside I had something infinitely greater than anyone with the ability to get an A, hit a home run, or score a three point shot."
That's interesting, though I'll have to note that, if it were to imply that he doesn't/didn't read DC comics for ultra-darkness, well then, let's just say that I don't read Marvel for that either. And I've never been able to understand where anyone got the idea that any Marvel reader was into them for darkness. Of course some are, that's a given, but what genuine proof is there that all of Marvel's audience does? After all, Spider-Man, IMO, works best when it's got the bright side in motion, and when it began during the Silver Age, many of the adventures certainly did involve the art of fun. The same goes in fact for the Avengers, and thinking now of Avengers #221 from July 1982 that I've got at home, when She-Hulk was first invited to work with the EMH, it was the fact that it was written as both fun and funny that made it work for me.

So I'll have to hand it to the writer of this article, that he does make a fairly good point.

Labels: ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.