« Home | Meltzer continues to mumble » | J for jihad, I for Islam, S for Shari'a » | Pure blindness to reason » | Will Eisner's first graphic novel in retrospect » | More sensationalized reporting, ditto face-value a... » | Spider-Man gets caught in a web of political bias ... » | And now, to celebrate the New Year... » | Happy Hanuka and Merry Christmas week » | He just totally misses the mark » | Now that's certainly helpful » 

Thursday, January 19, 2006 

Geoff Johns slaughters the Zoo Crew

After reading this synopsis on Howling Curmudgeons (via Comics Worth Reading) of how Geoff Johns brought back Captain Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew in the pages of Teen Titans just so that he could do a parody(!) of Identity Crisis, I think I'll have to hand it to the good folks at the blog there: they summed up a lot of my feelings about Johns that I've been trying to figure out just how to describe in the past year or so.

And with lines in Infinite Crisis being uttered by Batman, directed towards Superman, that include "the last time you inspired anyone was when you were dead," I think I'll have to concur that, there may be something to the accusation that Infinite is a miniseries that seems to hate DC Comics, more than it does Marvel's EIC, Joe Quesada!

And if DC thinks that writing this all as a satire can help them deflect any criticism, sorry, but that excuse has been used many times before, and certainly doesn't hold up very well now. It's a real shame that they're just going along and beating what's already become a dead horse, when they could be doing something more creative instead.

If Johns is going to be more an editor than a writer now, let's hope that he'll at least do better there. For now, would somebody PLEASE bring back Roger Stern and Bill Loebs? Thank you!

Update: as this blogger indicates, chances are that Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew won't be appearing again anytime soon, if at all (more from the same one here). Sad to say, but I think he's right; very little chance that we'll see them again in the forseeable future. What a waste!

Update 2: this entry on Comics Should be Good tells exactly why I will be avoiding Geoff Johns and Judd Winick from hereon.

Labels: , ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.