« Home | J for jihad, I for Islam, S for Shari'a » | Pure blindness to reason » | Will Eisner's first graphic novel in retrospect » | More sensationalized reporting, ditto face-value a... » | Spider-Man gets caught in a web of political bias ... » | And now, to celebrate the New Year... » | Happy Hanuka and Merry Christmas week » | He just totally misses the mark » | Now that's certainly helpful » | DISGRACE » 

Sunday, January 15, 2006 

Meltzer continues to mumble

Brad Meltzer, whom DC Comics and plenty of knee-jerk members of the MSM have been elevating to exaggerated superstar status, continues to ply his now comedic trade a la Cindy Sheehan at the Palm Beach Post, which says that "He takes comic books seriously"! Too seriously, if you ask me, but we'll leave that bit for another time. For now, let's see what sugary rubbish they force down our throats here:
For the growing fan base of graphic novels, one of the most popular authors at Saturday's Bookmania! fest in Stuart will undoubtedly be South Florida mystery novelist Brad Meltzer (Zero Game)

Meltzer gained a whole new league of admirers when he penned the recent graphic novel Identity Crisis, which presented a darker side to the usual true-blue view of superheroes such as Batman, Superman, The Flash and the Green Lantern.
Did he really? Opinions range all over the board, but the only real fans he's achieved seem to be the media themselves.
He even dared to kill off a superhero (even if it was sort of a minor one) and had a serial killer stalking their families. And Meltzer recently announced that he will start on a new Justice League comic-book series this year.
Oooooops. Fact check: it was the wife of a superhero, minor or not, and, like quite a few articles I've seen interviewing this nobody, they completely forgot to mention the R-worded crime that took place. And what's this about a serial killer? They forgot to mention that it was really just the inexplicably deranged ex-wife of another superhero, a minor one too, or, they ignored/took it out of context altogether!

Now, for the next laugh he provides: why he wrote a graphic novel:
"Very simple reason: I just love the characters. I think many writers grew up reading, and I grew up reading just as much as anyone else did, but I was reading comic books. That's what I loved reading. I loved Superman; I loved Batman."
If there's anything else I've noticed in some of the interviews besides the total obscuring of the R-worded crime that took place in Identiy Crisis, including the one I dissected here, it's that this "writer" is very surprisingly dishonest in how he conveys his views. If he really did love the characters, well then, why would he be so hostile to the female characters, make it seem as if Batman was literally concerned about a villain who'd committed an R-worded crime, and make Superman seem as if he didn't care that his fellow Justice Leaguers had done something wrong on their own part to his good friend in the Bat-suit (which may not be as bad as taking the side of a violent criminal, but still..). It's already becoming a chore to discuss.

Meltzer then explains why graphic novels are important:
"I think we kind of turn our noses up at them, and we think, oh, it's just Superman and Batman, and you know, it's as important as a coloring book. But you know, I did my senior paper when I was in college on comic books as propaganda in World War II... In 1942, as everything was happening with World War II, we wanted someone to protect us, and we got the (comic-book) heroes that we needed. That's the exact same reason today why you see the resurgence of Spider-Man and all these other characters in movies and television... It's because once again in the post-9/11 world, we're afraid, and we want someone to protect us."
Slick man, isn't he. Writing a book that was an allegorical attack on the US administration's battle against terrorism by implying that the US (and possibly even Israel) is to blame for being attacked, by writing a back story featuring a "crime" committed by the goodies, which is supposed to be the reason why Sue Dibny was put to death, and they're the sole ones to blame. C'mon, Palm Beach Posters, do you really think we're that dumb?

Now, here's his explanation on why he chose a darker vision:
"I had no desire to go and just, you know, do a big shoot-'em-up or do anything silly. I wanted to do something serious, and what I hit upon was what if someone was attacking all the loved ones — all the family and friends of the world's most powerful superheroes? And for me, that got us something much greater. I think a lot of superhero comics, and even the medium, in general, apologizes for itself. It's almost sorry. I don't apologize for it. I love writing comic books as much as I love writing my own mysteries."
Spoken as if he really had embarked on a serious comics writing career already. Hardy-har-har. Yet again, for the umpteenth time, virtually everything meaty gets glossed over and obscured, and for those who find out what happens in IC, it makes his whole argument look all the more silly and laughable. And for someone who says that the [comics] medium apologizes for itself, he should really look at himself in the mirror: Mr. Meltzer, you really are a clever actor, but the sad truth is, if not an apologist yourself, you are most certainly a self-appointed one (or one that the company appointed). And if that's how it's going to be with you, then I'd say you really shouldn't waste your time around a medium I highly doubt you really respect, no matter how much you say you do.

Incidentally, what Meltzer doesn't make clear regarding the medium apologizing for itself is this: that their forefathers produced stuff that embraced positive traits like heroism and selflessness, and that they produced stories that could make people think. And if he's going to go along and write a story that does exactly what the medium itself today sadly seems to do, then all he's done is to discredit his whole argument.

And if Identity Crisis makes anyone think about anything, well, it's certainly nothing good, that's for sure.

Meltzer is by now but a caricature of himself in his interviews, as are any of the newspapers that wrote about his little roach of a comic book in the sugarcoated manner that seems to have affected a lot of the interviews/reviews involving IC in the past year since that awful miniseries came out. And in doing so, all that the MSM has done is to discredit even their coverage of comic books.

Labels:

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.