« Home | Million dollar Manga » | Here's someone who found inspiration through comics » | Can't they let him rest? » | Being counseled by DiDio » | Better than ever? We'll see about that » | Batman built with Lego » | Spidey 3: in black? » | Marvel's shareholdings slumped this year » | I never thought I'd see the day... » | The Last Stand? » 

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 

Quad Cities has its first comics convention

The Quad Cities Times of Iowa writes about the area's first comics convention and one person here says:
The comic books of today are more geared toward young adults in their 20s and 30s, said Larry Wiese of Superstars and Superheroes shop of Davenport. “Now there’s more talent that goes into them and the superstars of the comic books are the artists,” he said. “The artists are demanding more money which has priced kids out of the market.”
Good gosh! So the artists - or illustrators - are to blame for the rise in price? Whoa, how I long for days when plenty of artists weren't trying to differ from each other by too far a margin.

Not to knock most artists and writers, but if they were to stop trying to fleece the industry of only so much cash, maybe the prices could go down a bit.

Still, there's something here that I can certainly appreciate:
Comic books might not be as popular today were it not for the talents of the late artist Will Eisner who pushed the genre into new directions with 60-plus years of work and the popularity of Marvel Comics with the baby boomers, said Bruce Reynolds of St. Louis, Mo.
Yeah, I think I agree with that alright. Eisner was the man indeed.

Labels:

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.