« Home | I never thought I'd see the day... » | The Last Stand? » | And now, it's ready. Ta-da! » | Et tu, DiDio? » | The Masked Manhunter takes on al Qaeda » | Scarlet Witch gets slapped in the face by the Plai... » | PC arguments I'm tired of seeing » | Comics4Kids finds success » | I sure hope this'll be better... » | So what are Marvel's financial results for 2005? » 

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 

Marvel's shareholdings slumped this year

According to the following columnist on CNN's Money section, Paul R. La Monica, Marvel's shareholdings for this past year were not as good as they could've been, and it seems as though, in order to survive, they've got to do it not by making better comics, but by making movie deals. As told here:
In November, Marvel shocked Wall Street with sales and earnings guidance for 2006 that was substantially below consensus estimates.

Shares of Marvel (Research) plunged 22 percent on the news. If Comic Book Guy from "The Simpsons" were a shareholder of the company, he would undoubtedly declare that it was the Worst...Earnings Announcement...Ever.
Now this may actually be more in relation to their moviemaking deals than their own comics-producing department. But even so, if only the writer knew, that a possible reason for this failure could very well be due to the editorial board's incredible contempt towards the readership. Not the only reason, I'm sure, and those movie versions of the Punisher and even the Hulk were crummy indeed, but even so, as someone with an understanding of what writing goes on in the comics industry itself, I'm really disappointed in Joe Quesada for his own contributions to the damage at a company whose creations I so love.

And of course there are readers who do realize when the time comes that they should avoid what bad stuff Marvel puts out. But that's still a shame, that Marvel should be doing whatever possible to alienate them, and not make really serious efforts to bring in respectable writers whose selection isn't based on whether they're "hot" or not. The same, now that I think of it, also goes for DC.

Labels: ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.