« Home | The Last Stand? » | And now, it's ready. Ta-da! » | Et tu, DiDio? » | The Masked Manhunter takes on al Qaeda » | Scarlet Witch gets slapped in the face by the Plai... » | PC arguments I'm tired of seeing » | Comics4Kids finds success » | I sure hope this'll be better... » | So what are Marvel's financial results for 2005? » | A comic book about copyrights » 

Monday, February 20, 2006 

I never thought I'd see the day...

When Marvel apparently decided to animate even the Ultimate universe on videocassette! Which is exactly why it isn't good news, I'm afraid. From the New York Times:
Those with certain tastes in cinema have long complained that films look too much like comic books. To other moviegoers, of course, they will never look enough like comic books, and it is that audience that Marvel Studios and Lions Gate Home Entertainment are seeking with "Ultimate Avengers: The Movie."

The animated feature, to be released direct to DVD tomorrow and priced at $19.98, will not have the mass-market appeal of Marvel movies such as "Spider-Man." But it also did not have nearly as big a budget.
No, it won't. Not if the series this seems to take off from involved an overwrought regurgitation of the storyline from 1981 when Hank Pym smacked Janet Van Dyne, that's for sure.

Normally, I'd welcome the idea of animation for adults. I mean, hey, who doesn't? But if it's a takeoff on a series that featured yet another needless regurgitation of a done-to-death storyline, that's what kills it.

Some advice for Marvel: back to drawing board. Thank you.

Update: and while I'm on the subject of that awful beginning story in the Ultimates (first volume), I must say, these two reviews here of issue #6 and issue #7 from Silver Bullet Comics are some of the most angeringly sugarladen slop I've ever seen. The reviewer is not being discerning, and the review of 6 doesn't give a clear explanation of what took place in it either (the review of 7 does give an indication of what took place, but is still a fiasco due to the fluff-coating he gave it). With that kind of appoach, no wonder I find mainstream websites like this one so unreliable.

Labels:

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.