« Home | Spin mag interviews Sean Ryan » | Image produces Task Force 1 » | Is this the worst publicity stunt of all? » | One really distasteful puff of toxic gas » | Dixon comes back to DC, and Connor Hawke gets a le... » | So THAT'S why the Silver Age Atom's getting shafted! » | Dublin's Captain America-dedicated resturant » | A far cry from the Kapitalist Kouriers » | Deconstruction, not innovation » | Yep, they're just warring with each other » 

Thursday, June 22, 2006 

How is being bright and optimistic a problem for today's writers?

From the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette, here's another article telling the readers what to think or believe, something that comics companies today seem to be arguing ad nauseum, and which is simply exaggerated:
Superman smiles a lot, but writer Geoff Johns is working through that.

“It’s easier to write a character like Batman who’s tough and gritty than someone like Superman who’s happy with himself,” says Johns, who recently took over the reins of the character’s self-titled comic book.

Over nearly 70 years, writers have had the same problem with the Man of Steel: How do you write adventures about a do-gooder?

“It’s corny, but Superman is so good that (writing him) is difficult,” Johns says.

Still, Superman smiles on – in comics, on TV (“Smallville”) and, again, in movies, with “Superman Returns.” Getting a handle on the character is so hard that it’s legendary in comics to fail at pinning him down.

When DC Comics wanted to revitalize Superman this year, the publishing company turned to Johns, who has had success reworking such time-tested franchises as the Flash and the Teen Titans for DC.

“I took the job because I love the character,” he says.
No kidding. After the way that Johns began to toe the line with DC on its jamming the Identity Crisis outgrowth down the audience's collective throats, I had to question that.

And the part about 70 years worth of writers having a problem in getting a handle on Superman because he's "so good," raises many questions on just what are they talking about. How strange. Didn't Siegal and Shuster do well enough on their part, ditto E. Nelson Bridwell, Cary Bates, Elliot Maggin, Jim Shooter, and even Bob Rozakis? What this whole argument obscures and misses the point almost completely on is that, as the Silver Age can certainly tell, the Man of Steel went through some of the most absurd slapstick adventures you could think of, including getting his head turned into that of a lion's head, and, perhaps even more telling, he wasn't quite as "good" as one might think: he sometimes played unkind tricks on Lois Lane, and vice versa, and whenever I think of it, the Superman-Lois relations at the time were probably the least believable of all the superheroes and their spouses. Barry Allen and Iris West, Adam and Alanna Strange, Hal Jordan and Carol Ferris, Ray Palmer and Jean Loring, Hawkman and Hawkwoman, they were much more "down to earth" than Superman and Lois ever were in their own relations together, which could include rivalry.

Now, here's where the article descends into favoratism for the darkness:
Though Superman’s popularity has gone up and down over the years, he remains one of the most recognized and profitable franchises in comics.

Keeping readers coming back to the racks every month is more than a good idea. It’s essential.

The bright-and-shiny Superman is now facing something deadlier to him than kryptonite – competition. Darker characters such as the X-Men’s Wolverine and even Gotham City’s Batman appeal to younger readers seeking accessible characters.
Haven't we seen this kind of argument before? Time once wrote a puff piece for grittiness and darkness, and I wasn't very impressed with that one either. In fact, if the Man of Steel is facing competition now, surely he wasn't before as well? Very little here is clear, not even just who these "younger" readers are.

And I should note that, while I've got nothing against reading about "dark/gritty" characters, I never read Marvel Comics solely or even squarely for darkness, and difficult as it is to find anything readable from Marvel now, I don't read their comics for darkness even now. Spider-Man's origin may have stemmed from a personal tragedy, but darkness was not what Peter Parker's own world was about, nor was ever built solely on darkness either. But that's what the press would doubtless like for people to think, which makes no sense, and is insulting to no end. Heck, in this cruel world of ours, a bright and enjoyable adventure can do a lot of good for people. I've got a feeling that hospital patients would confirm that brightness does them a lot of good too.

Johns began his career as a movie supervisor for Richard Donner, whose credentials include ultra-violent movies like Lethal Weapon, and most likely that the former was influenced considerably by the latter. That's one of the reasons why I don't see it as a very good idea to hire people from the movie biz to write comic books, since they take it to such an extreme level, far too much for comics to handle.

Topic linked with: Blue Star Chronicles, Cigar Intelligence Agency, Free Constitution, Gribbit's Word, Is it Just Me, The Mudville Gazette, Point Five,

Labels:

Hi, Avi.

I think that bright and optimistic is harder than dark and conflicted because characters need internal conflict and that's the easiest way to get it.

I'm writing a script now (yeah, I know, but I am!) that has a main character that is the ultimate "good girl". Her "problem" is that she believes that using her super abilities involves losing her soul. So I guess I've taken the easy way out, too, in a fashion. I've given her something to angst over.

As for comics... I've been searching the shelves for *something* my kids can read and other than Sonic the Hedgehog and overpriced Disney applications, there is nothing at all. Not even for middleschool age. Everything is dark dark dark or really sexual or both.

My kids have started reading Manga almost exclusively. Sonic being the exception.

And it's not that Mom doesn't allow the dark angsty stuff either. My teen son would rather read books, my teen daughter gets the occasional graphic novel of doom with her four or five Manga series, my pre-teen daughter would like "girls turn into superheroes" comics like the manga but in full color mags... there aren't any, and my youngest daughter is into Sonic.

Who ARE the comic publishers marketing to? I don't think it's young people at all. I think it's adult comic book collectors.

Exactly what I, and plenty of others, have figured for some time now. No matter what's said in some press sources, it doesn't seem like they're interested in marketing for children, if at all. And if they're going to continue with all the adult elements, few parents will want to even allow their kids to pick the books up.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.