« Home | Superbad role models: Superman Returns advocates a... » | Truth, justice, and the Am-*SQUICK* » | Computer software for comic creating » | How is being bright and optimistic a problem for t... » | Spin mag interviews Sean Ryan » | Image produces Task Force 1 » | Is this the worst publicity stunt of all? » | One really distasteful puff of toxic gas » | Dixon comes back to DC, and Connor Hawke gets a le... » | So THAT'S why the Silver Age Atom's getting shafted! » 

Thursday, June 29, 2006 

Superheroines do deserve glory on the silver screen

The Kansas City Star's got an article about the sorry state of movies with superheroines in the lead:
Wonder Woman, we need you!

As it stands, nearly all female superhero flicks make our crime-fighting sistas look laughably pathetic. Consider these disasters: “Supergirl” (Helen Slater), “Elektra” (Jennifer Garner) and “Catwoman” (a hissably bad Halle Berry).

None won over audiences or critics, and the reason is obvious: All were rotten.
Indeed they were. The only reason I can see for their ever being made is that the producers seem to think that chicks alone will bring in the teenage boys, and any girls who enjoy the wish-fullfilment angle. But no, it's not that simple.
If you dig deep enough, you will find tough female superheroes here and there. My favorite is 1983’s “The Heroic Trio,” with Michelle Yeoh, Maggie Cheung and Anita Mui. The gory Hong Kong flick finds this kick-butt trio rescuing babies from the diabolical clutches of the Lord of the Underground. Gotta love that.

It’s essentially a pop-up comic book brought to life, with an assertive group of women showing who’s the boss. Skip the lame sequel, though.

At least there are prospects on the horizon. “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” creator Joss Whedon is reportedly working on a script for a big-screen version of “Wonder Woman.” It has been in the larval stage for a while, so let’s just keep our fingers crossed that it will end the curse of the bad female superhero movie. If there’s anyone who can do the genre justice, he would be the guy.
I hope so. Likewise, I hope the chosen actress will be hot enough for the role.

Labels:

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.