« Home | This sounds like a lot of artwork talent, far more... » | I never knew it before, but... » | So just how many attend the San Diego Comicon? » | Wally West being shafted for Bart Allen tells that... » | Darkseid is by far the most effective adversary in... » | Has Peter David lost it? » | TV's Superman attacks the approach to parental res... » | Happy Fourth of July to everyone! » | The problem with the mainstream media's focus on S... » | DC Comics may be trying to ignore/ruin the Atom's ... » 

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 

Geoff Johns must be trying to rip off Young Avengers

That's certainly what it sounds like when I look at this thread he posted on ComicBloc (via Titans Tower Monitor). First, though, I gotta take issue with the following:
First of: Eddie, Tony, Jeanine and Kevin rule. They are my partners on this book and without them it wouldn't be the book it is. I couldn't be more happy with how TEEN TITANS is turning out.
Except that the issue where he smacked Captain Carrot's Amazing Zoo Crew in the face is what's frightened me away from that book almost entirely.
Despite the loss of Conner (choke) and Bart (sigh) from the team, Tony and Eddie and I wanted to take a risk. We wanted to try and do something totally DIFFERENT and NEW, create NEW characters and update ones few have heard of. For a long time, I think some people saw our new TEEN TITANS book as being an amalgam of NEW TEEN TITANS and YOUNG JUSTICE. I think we're finally out of the shadow and I think with all of the mythology we're laying, the numerous storylines and members that are being created, the book has come into its own completely.

It's really amazing to think when I first got offered TEEN TITANS everyone said "Why do it? It's been cancelled twice!" More than three years later, we're still one of DC's highest selling books. Our sales have been as solid as they've been since we launched. I thank all the readers for that and for letting us add what we can to the Titans world. I'm super psyched for everyone to see what we've got coming up next: TITANS AROUND THE WORLD, the mystery of KID DEVIL, the power of ZATARA, the strangeness of MISS MARTIAN, the fears of RAVAGER, the troubles between ROBIN and WONDER GIRL, the lost friend, the new enemy, the new member, the old member, BATGIRL, KID DEVIL's arch enemy, the TITANS EAST, the other TOWER, the loud girl with the crush on CYBORG, the missing "book" and plenty of insanity.
I can certainly figure out one, and maybe two, of the newcomers here. Zatara is probably going to be Zatanna's kid cousin, taking up a super-career of his own and the name of his uncle as well, and Miss Martian, besides being meant to evoke (and joke) Ms. Marvel, is going to be a long lost relative of J'onn J'onzz, the Martian Manhunter. And the other Tower is going to be the one they once had in New York City. And Wonder Girl is now starting a love affair with Robin, now that Connor Kent's been shafted without even trying to make anything really convincing out of that previous relation (it was so half-hearted when I read it, that it had very little impact for me).

Sorry, but, I'll pass. And besides, when I look at this under a microscope, it doesn't take much to figure out that this is all just intended to be a Young Avengers ripoff, to cash in on any success their rival company could be having with that specific title.

And does he really think he can fool anyone with his "sniffling"? I figured that one of the reasons why Superboy got killed in Infinite Crisis and Bart Allen got tossed from the TT cast was because he simply doesn't have any interest in them, and the way he wrote them, mechanically or symbolically, could attest to that.

Labels: ,

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.