« Home | Happy Fourth of July to everyone! » | The problem with the mainstream media's focus on S... » | DC Comics may be trying to ignore/ruin the Atom's ... » | Superheroines do deserve glory on the silver screen » | Superbad role models: Superman Returns advocates a... » | Truth, justice, and the Am-*SQUICK* » | Computer software for comic creating » | How is being bright and optimistic a problem for t... » | Spin mag interviews Sean Ryan » | Image produces Task Force 1 » 

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 

TV's Superman attacks the approach to parental responsibility in the new cinematic one

Dean Cain, formerly the Man of Steel on Lois and Clark (with the great Teri Hatcher in the Girl Friday role) on NBC, came out against the way Lois Lane's handling of her child was depicted in Superman Returns in an interview with USA Today (via Debbie Schlussel):
Q: How does Kate Bosworth compare to Teri Hatcher as Lois Lane?

A: Teri's Lois had a hard exterior with a real soft interior. The whole thing with Lois having a child (a 5-year-old son, Jason) in the film was a little unsettling. I have a child (Christopher Dean Cain, 6) and that changes things. Lois Lane is always going to be an intrepid reporter, but I would never bring my child to a place where he could possibly get in danger — yet she does, which was kind of surprising.
Okay, that does it, I'm not wasting my money on a movie that does something as slapdash as that.

They seem to be discontent with heat vision too:
Q: What was the biggest difference between your series and the film?

A: I wasn't in the water as much as Brandon. And the film's special effects were a lot better than ours. It ups the credibility when it comes to flying. They also changed the heat vision. I had little laser beams that came out of my eyes, and his are more like heat waves.
Sounds like excess to me. What next, Superman as a human flare cannon?

For the record, here's Debbie's transcript from her discussion of the movie on MSNBC's Scarborough Country.

Labels:

It seems to me your title is a little misleading.

In the quote (and article itself) it seems less like he's criticizing the single parent aspect so much as bringing the child into a dangerous situation aspect.

And mild criticism is hardly an attack.

You've got a point. I'll try to change the title a bit.

There, I think I've fixed it.

Thanks for the replies, Bobb and Hube. R. Johns, to say the least, crossed the line at one point, and thanks to that, now finds that the blog is otherwise off limits to him. I will allow his current messages to remain intact for now, but if he tries these stunts any further, he will once again be shown the door. Dissent is always welcome, but trolling is most certainly not.

Have a good weekend, everybody!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Avi Green
  • From Jerusalem, Israel
  • I was born in Pennsylvania in 1974, and moved to Israel in 1983. I also enjoyed reading a lot of comics when I was young, the first being Fantastic Four. I maintain a strong belief in the public's right to knowledge and accuracy in facts. I like to think of myself as a conservative-style version of Clark Kent. I don't expect to be perfect at the job, but I do my best.
My profile

Archives

Links

  • avigreen2002@yahoo.com
  • Fansites I Created

  • Hawkfan
  • The Greatest Thing on Earth!
  • The Outer Observatory
  • Earth's Mightiest Heroines
  • The Co-Stars Primer
  • Realtime Website Traffic

    Comic book websites (open menu)

    Comic book weblogs (open menu)

    Writers and Artists (open menu)

    Video commentators (open menu)

    Miscellanous links (open menu)

  • W3 Counter stats
  • Bio Link page
  • blog directory Bloggeries Blog Directory View My Stats Blog Directory & Search engine eXTReMe Tracker Locations of visitors to this page  
    Flag Counter

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Older Posts Newer Posts

The Four Color Media Monitor is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.